San Francisco's public defecation problem really stinks

Take it out on corporate America by encouraging people to go to McDonalds playlands and pooping in the ball pit. Until more public restrooms become available, the homeless motto should be “Poop in the ball pit!”

3 Likes

We had Jane Kim running for mayor and she lost because SF is not as progressive as many believe. As a supervisor, she proposed $2.5 million be redirected just for street/sidewalk cleaning from cuts that have been already made from other agencies.
The interim Mayor Mark Ferrell and London Breed kept the idea but whittled it down to $1.1 and are patting themselves on the back for it. Then it went to the city Budget committee and was approved and now it will go to the Board for final approval. If approved, it will actually help a lot. Thanks Jane Kim.

7 Likes

From what I’m told, self-congratulation after under-delivering on results is a major aspect of being a San Francisco elected official.

2 Likes

I mean, if you don’t pat yourself in the back despite being a failure in politics then who is going to do it?

… besides the people you can pay to do the back patting for you i mean.

2 Likes

Get ready for Gavin.

3 Likes

I am shocked! I just read the other day how San Francisco has zero waste

1 Like

If there’s shit on the sidewalks it’s not ending up in landfills so… technically a win?

2 Likes

Where did you read ‘zero’? Wasn’t at that link you provided, eh?

Nice project.

It is a slippery slope.

(because hills)

1 Like

The obvious solution is to starve the homeless. ‘S a well known fac’ that starving people poop less.

1 Like

Get TYLERS to make a shirt, and we’re good to go.

1 Like

Maybe people are just trying to evade the sewage surveillance system.

1 Like

In Europe lots of cities put urinals in places where people pee anyway. A little nook under a stairwell, etc. Works great, and no reason to go super fancy with full on bathrooms. It’s not a complete solution (obviously it’s easier for men to use than women), but it sure is a nice and dirt cheap start.

exactly - he helped SF turn into disneyland for drug addicts, and is about to bring it to the whole state of California.

this isn’t a little pee pee. this is feces, needles, and mounds of detrius that seem to follow the problem.

so discouraging.

People - wake up ! Look to San Antonio, TX - really - as a model for how to help with homelessness

ask our government to stop spending buhzillions on crap we don’t need, and get back to WPA style rebuilding of the infrastructure. Don’t want to work on a road crew? or a park rebuild team? well - there should be something out there for you.

1 Like

Despite the fact that SF is spending millions more on services for the homeless and on agencies tasked with helping them, the problem stubbornly refuses to go away.

1 Like

The city can (and should) double the amount of money they currently spend but as long as they apply the funds in the same old ways (basically continual sweeping up after an endless parade of elephants) and are too afraid to ask for other sacrifices from businesses, landlords and the city’s wealthy they won’t make a dent in it.

I don’t see that changing soon, so the people who could effect meaningful change in one of the most beautifully situated cities on the planet will instead continue to live side by side with poop, used needles and aggro hobos and pat themselves on the back for token gestures of their supposed liberalism — just as they have for at least three decades.

I was just listening to a documentary podcast in which two women took a trip to San Francisco. The very first thing they noticed was the extreme and visible wealth disparity, the worst either had seen in the U.S. Welcome to SF, mind the techbros zipping past on scooters and the dump that homeless addict just took on the pavement.

4 Likes

As long as we operate under capitalism we’ll not provide any guarantees that a person can continue to live in the town they were born in. I have to move out of my home town to find a job. some people have to move due to increasing costs. You can rent a 3bd house in Hollister for less than a 1bd apartment in Oakland these days. 2 hour drive to Oakland, but only 1 hour to San Jose.

1 Like

Do you think that the citizens of SF are obligated to provide shelter, food and medical care, as long as desired, to each and every homeless person who manages to make their way across the city boundary?

1 Like

That’s an odd question, given that I never implied that’s how I thought tax revenues earmarked for addressing the problems related to SF’s homeless should be applied. Perhaps you meant that message for someone else in the thread.

4 Likes

Turns out, keeping them on the street is pretty expensive. Much more expensive than say, literally giving them a place to live.

9 Likes