SAS flight makes emergency landing when a live mouse pops out of a passenger's meal

Originally published at: SAS flight makes emergency landing when a live mouse pops out of a passenger's meal - Boing Boing

6 Likes

“Excuse me, but I did order the vegetarian meal.”

18 Likes

Seems a bit excessive. I’d rather arrive on time with a mouse on board than delayed for hours so that the mouse can visit Copenhagen

14 Likes

Walt Disney Movie GIF

So did Remy.

14 Likes

I blame Boeing :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

“That’s OK, sir. The mouse is a vegetarian.”

16 Likes

Was this the passenger?

sci-fi 80s GIF

15 Likes

Right? If they said that my first instinct would be to go look for that damn mouse. On the other hand I’ve seen people absolutely lose their minds over small flying insects and the very idea of rodents. I imagine their motivation for grounding is avoiding panic as opposed to, say the mouse taking over the flight controls.

5 Likes

I suppose it could’ve been worse

16 Likes

I know the story sounds funny, but mice constantly chew things including the insulation on wiring. It’s not hard to imagine shorted/broken wiring in a critical system causing a disaster.

18 Likes

Incidentally, the meal was untouched. Mice do have standards, y’know.

15 Likes

When you see one mouse, there’s mice, so there is the safety issue. Also, it might have been a pest quarantine control protocol. :person_shrugging:

I’m guessing, but I can imagine that places without hantavirus wouldn’t want random rodents entering. For insects, they’d probably just gas the plane and passengers, but mice are harder to kill.

https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/spray

7 Likes

TIL “disinsection” is a word, even if my web browser’s spellcheck refuses to acknowledge it. Thanks!

4 Likes

SAS is totally missing an opportunity if they don’t make that mouse is mascot / spokes mouse.

Who’s the leader of the plane
That’s made for you and me?
S-A-S-S-E-Y M-O-U-S-E
Hey! there, Hi! there, Ho! there
You’re as welcome as can be!
S-A-S-S-E-Y M-O-U-S-E
SASsey Mouse!
SASsey Mouse!
Forever let us hold our banner high!
High! high! high!
Come along and sing a song
And join the jamboree!
S-A-S-S-E-Y M-O-U-S-E

If you can improve the lyric, feel free to to comment.

7 Likes

The snakes might have helped

14 Likes

But then they would’ve needed hungry mongooses to kill the snakes :thinking:

9 Likes

Perhaps there was some… misunderstanding?

5 Likes

“Just another reason to pack a sack lunch before boarding any future flights.”

4 Likes

Showtime Good Point GIF by Billions

4 Likes

“This is something that happens extremely rarely,” said a spokesperson for SAS.

Noted.

4 Likes