Woman kicked off plane for bringing her emotional support squirrel

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/10/10/woman-kicked-off-plane-for-bri.html

5 Likes

The only good squirrel is a dead squirrel.

gijoe

You’ll get no emotional support from one of those rodents.

Signed,
My Tomato Garden

24 Likes

A tip from the local Seattle plant growing madman. Keep out a small bucket of water as that is what the little gray beasties are after in the tomatoes.

13 Likes

What, no love for the tree rats?

10 Likes

The squirrel must have posed an immediate risk to the airplane and the passengers. I mean, we can’t let a little old lady carry a squirrel around can we? Of course not. People must only have pets and support animals from the approved list or the plane might crash. /s

5 Likes

How the hell did she even get to the plane? Like, is that a squirrel friendly airport? Or did they somehow scan her bags/body and not see a squirrel? Maybe they thought it was a toy squirrel and she taught it to stay super still. Are squirrels easily trainable? Are there other airlines that allow squirrels? Is there a squirrel room next to the smoking room at the airport where you can go groom your squirrel? Why does the word squirrel get harder to say the more you say it? So many questions…

16 Likes

So what if someone brings a squirrel on a plane. It’s not the worst animal you can bring on a plane: Homo sapiens sapiens.

2 Likes

Where do you draw the line, though?

6 Likes

To paraphrase SNL, nobody has ever used the phrase “Oh good, there’s a squirrel inside.”

16 Likes

What makes you think the list of approved animals is based on safety? They don’t even allow dogs or cats right now.

2 Likes

Obligatory…

5 Likes

At safety. Rational, realistic, and reasonable safety.

I don’t. This clearly isn’t a safety issue. This seems more like a “punish people who don’t fit our mold” issue.

3 Likes

Why with the lines?
If humans can fly, why not everybody else?

2 Likes

As a frequent flyer for work, I don’t much care what people bring on a plane. Just keep that peacock from screaming and we’re good. It’s often the airlines’ response - in this case an unnecessary 2 hr delay - that is the main problem.

5 Likes

I would very much like to meet this woman’s squirrel.

1 Like

Had an uncle that swore he made it through the Great Depression by eating squirrels. I never ate his mince pie again…

11 Likes

Eh, I’d say less “punish people who don’t fit our mold” and more along the mundane and impersonal lines of “let’s not open that can of worms”.

7 Likes

Maybe. I think it’s more about if you don’t follow the instructions of a flight attendant, things aren’t going to go well for you.

3 Likes

Ah, the classic authoritarian stance. Do what you are told even if it’s for no good reason or be punished.

If other airlines can fly with live goats and chickens…

This scenario is completely nuts.

10 Likes