Satellite images show massive models of US warships built in China desert

So, what can’t be tested in a simulator?

1 Like

The feeling and fatigue of running across the hot sand before boarding an aircraft carrier

14 Likes

What I wonder about is whether they are doing anything to make the background more realistic. Endlessly roiling sea is different from static sand in both the radar and visual frequencies.

1 Like

That’s why USN capital ships SOP is to have a demoted Navy SEAL on crew:
under-siege-3

8 Likes

The video is by the South China Morning Post, so the publicity of these images is approved by the Chinese government.

4 Likes

There was a group who managed to hijack an American strategic submarine. Fortunately, it was a special forces unit tasked with testing security, but still scary that it was possible.

1 Like

So it could just be really good CGI and some cardboard cutouts posted for Google to see from above.

1 Like

Less horizon effects and more what does it look like from space. Warhead view if you will.

Aerial imagery of the mock-ups was captured by Maxar, a commercial US company. US spooky sats have surely seen them much earlier than Maxar. Well, at least in higher resolution.

2 Likes

Huh? We “did this” to the Germans to delude them as to our actual troop strength.

The Chinese aren’t doing this to trick us. They are doing this to practice so that in a shooting war they can destroy a $5 billion carrier filled with $5 billion worth of materiel/troops with a $1 million missile.

The only old trick the US is playing is on itself: always arming for the previous war, when it should be arming for the future one.

5 Likes

Yes these carriers are too expensive to send into actual wars where there are hypersonic missles involved.

So then the propaganda is working, on you at least.

2 Likes

…to delude them as to our actual intention.

1 Like

That’s why I noted that “publicity” is approved by the Chinese government by their inclusion in the South China Morning Post. China is fine with other countries being intimidated by the scale and scope of their weapons targeting program - presumably to train ballistic and semi-balistic missiles to target moving ships.

3 Likes

I am wondering how hard it is to turn a hypersonic missile in entry. Seems they are too.

1 Like

Well, that certainly explains the collapse of Evergrande-- it’s all part of an inscrutable 500 year plan.

5 Likes

A correct long-term strategy overcomes minor tactical diversions along the way. :wink:

Maybe like some kind of RenFaire?

2 Likes

You did specify “Asian” but I am going to mention “Sahara” anyway.

3 Likes

while i am moving the goal posts slightly from military industrial complex to generalized government, i think autocratic rule is not a good or strategic long game

long term resilience demands a diverse populace where people are roughly equally empowered.

their propaganda might have people believing otherwise, just as our own propaganda might have people believing that late stage capitalism is the win. neither ( i hope ) has infinitely long legs

more broadly, i guess i just don’t generally believe in this concept that some person or persons are playing nth-dimensional chess. it’s very “othering” and isn’t really the way the world works in my opinion

2 Likes