Save over 90% on this streamlined Photoshop alternative

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/28/save-over-90-on-this-streamli.html

1 Like

Or you can get lifetime ownership of the world-class photoshop alternative Gimp for the low low low price of FREE. Free as in freedom, free as in beer.

Gimp is not “streamlined” it is a full featured professional application. With the exception of Pantone color support (which you need to pay Pantone for) it can do everything that photoshop can, and some things that it can’t (which is why the movie industry uses it).

It runs on Windows, Mac and Linux.

Support Open Source Software!

16 Likes

GIMP

7 Likes

Or just buy Clip Studio Päint.
It’s a great software to paint and draw comics, it’s really often sold at discount price and it’s not some mystery software without any tutorials and it’s used by actual artists and pro. You can run it on two different PC, mac or windows.

2 Likes

Ouch. Sick burn. Your move, web marketers.

7 Likes

I’ve never been able to keep it from crashing almost immediately on Mac OS 10.9.5.

Yeah, imma call “fake news” on that one.

As for Gimp, every now and again I give it a fair go but it still has many of the same limitations and irritations as it did back in the early days. Sure, you can do pretty much everything you can do in Photoshop, but you could also dig a swimming pool with a teaspoon instead of a backhoe but would you want to? I dislike the Adobe subscription model as much as the next guy, but when it comes to breadth and depth of tools there’s still nothing that quite compares.)

2 Likes

So, which one of these will let a no-talent person like me draw beautiful things? I’m sure if I buy the right one, I won’t have to learn and practice.

1 Like

I used it as my exclusive image-editing software on macOS 10.9.5. No problems.

2 Likes

How does it fares against Canva?

This is not a Photoshop competitor, the Adobe product you are thinking of is Adobe Spark, that’s kind of a duck and Adobe doesn’t seem to know what the hell they want it to be. First it was peddled as a Sketch competitor then it looks like they just threw everything they did in the garbage bin and started again as a Canva clone.

There are plenty interesting Photoshop competitors in the market, Gimp is not one of them. Gimp is a proof of concept, it only exists for people to say “There’s Gimp!” like no one ever did another image editor for Linux or Android or cross platform ever.

Affinity Photo could probably substitute, but I’ve only used the Develop persona.

2 Likes

I second Affinity!

2 Likes

I use GIMP professionally for 11 years now, and what you say is plainly not true. It may not be for you (and that’s ok), but it fits well in workflow of many people, including mine. Nearly every bitmap in my scientific publications and my PhD thesis was edited with GIMP.

1 Like

Well now I can’t get it to do it! You cast a healing spell on my Gimp!

1 Like

That’s awesome! You must be one of two people that I know in ~25 years that use Gimp professionally (I’m being sincere here, the only other person is an illustrator that has pledged to only use free software for his work)

Do you think that you could make an YouTube channel with video content talking about your process and how you do things? Because, if it’s feasible, it’s not reaching us.

I know plenty of people that use Krita, Inkscape, Affinity and a lot of browser based solutions or Android apps (the very straightforwardly named Image Editor by Byte Mobile is great and is donationware) - Gimp is consistently viewed as a PITA and I have heard this from people who have worked with it daily in organizations that only use Linux software for everything.

If there’s a way to make people suffer less and use it more effectively, I’m all for it.

1 Like

Thank you, but I mostly do extremely esoteric stuff that probably nobody would be interested in. Thinks like preparing images for Digital Image Correlation and composing resulting strain maps, labeling patent drawings, working with satellite images, preparing textures for Computer Aided Manufacturing operations, etc.
I like GIMP user interface, because I can do what I want fast, but I have no idea if it’s actually usable for art.

Thirded. In terms of features it’s probably as close as you’ll get to Photoshop with a better interface than GIMP, and a one-off cost rather than a subscription.

Alternatively there’s Photopea which is free and pretty good for an online editor.

1 Like

I errr… forth Affinity, using Affinity for photography work, features are growing and it now is the main part of my workflow and cancelled my photoshop subscription. Might not be for everyone, but certainly helps for budgeting, while not being a budget product.

1 Like

I’m waiting for it to be good.

1 Like

I’m looking into moving our department away from Adobe, over to Affinity: Designer, Photo, and Publisher.

They aren’t free, but they are powerful and they don’t require a subscription.

The only thing in the CC suite that we would still need for our workflow is Animate, occasionally.

2 Likes