Save the planet one sip at a time with this reusable straw

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/28/save-the-planet-one-sip-at-a-t.html

1 Like

h1AD45852-01

23 Likes

Given the grand tradition of the BB shop selling drug paraphernalia, I must assume that these straws are intended for cocaine.

11 Likes

Cocaine would stick to silicone. It’s more like a portable one-hitter that gets super grodi after a few uses and just turns into a black sludge tube.

4 Likes

Sorry BB, I can’t use straws anymore because I took the adulting course at UC Berkeley.

9 Likes

Is it “dishwasher safe”?

Each one includes a cleaner and cover to keep your nOcean straw ready for use.

Is that like “pipe cleaner” ? :

1 Like

Do androids dream of reusable straws?

3 Likes

Or drink from a glass? Revolutionary, I know.

5 Likes

Banning straws does nothing to climate change, and it’s not meant to. It’s part of a systemic attempt to get rid of single-use plastics, which make up a big percentage of plastic trash in the oceans. Don’t complain that the dog doesn’t meow.

4 Likes

you also don’t need to necessarily make any drastic changes to your lifestyle in order to do your part to help

I’m looking at this statement with squinty eyes.

3 Likes

So… let me see if I understand the presented concept. I take off a bracelet that has touched god-knows-what, unspool it, stick it in my soda or-whatever, drink, then put it back on my wrist? Or, carry it to an available water source to rinse it off, and then put it on my wrist?

Sounds like a super plan. I’ll continue with the drastic change to my lifestyle where I refuse the offered straw and drink from the glass.

2 Likes

This trend is stupid and is going to die fast. There are very few utilities I keep on my person at all times, and I straw isn’t going to be added to that. It really does just look like performative environmentalism to be walking around with a straw on your wrist. It isn’t actually making a dent in the problem.

If single use plastic straws are an environmental pollutant we don’t want to deal with, the best and most obvious answer is to just make them out of something that isn’t an environmental pollutant that will happily biodegrade. We have already implemented this in many places, and it works fine.

4 Likes

OK Boomer, go back to the 20th century with that kind of talk!

1 Like

10 Likes

You can’t save the planet by buying things.

4 Likes

Glad to hear you don’t have rheumatoid arthritis in your hands, making it next to impossible to hold a glass.

Banning plastic straws is surprisingly ableist.

3 Likes

Yes, because people with rheumatoid arthritus have such an easy time of holding a glass.

1 Like

I do not have rheumatoid arthritis, nor did I state ban all straws. Just that I personally don’t use them. Feel free to use what you wish, especially if it helps with a condition.

Sorry, your reply “I can’t use straws anymore because I took the adulting course at UC Berkeley.” made it sound like you believe people who use straws are being childish. There is a long list of genuine reasons why plastic (and not metal, not paper) straws are a necessity for some folks.

2 Likes

Or with CP like my sister.

The amount of single use plastic my sister needs for day to day living is phenomenally large. But we don’t need to count it because most of the population aren’t suffering from a severe disability. We can change the minds of 99.9% of the people and make a real difference, unlike focusing on the .1% of people.

2 Likes