'Scansin-isms and other local linguistic flavors

For eastern 'Scansinisms, try listening to The Happy Schnapps Combo. It’s like being surrounded by my extended family, with polka music!

I wish I could find their song “Come 'ere Once” online, but no dice. It’s chock-full of the Scansin-speak of my forebears.

2 Likes

Mostly skews to the SE, but I must say, my cousins were rather merciless when I once called ‘soda’ by ‘pop’. ‘Soda’ is exclusive to Racine/Milwaukee, the entire rest of the state uses ‘pop’.

Also, my grandma used ‘zink’, lived most her life in the central to NE parts of the state. Drove my mom nuts. Of course, my mom is incapable of saying the word ‘usually’ (always comes out ‘ruzhully’, so I take her offense with a grain of salt.

Whomever submitted UP needs some straightening up. Everyone in Michigan calls the UP ‘UP.’ What else are we supposed to call it, eh? The rest of the reader submissions square better with how my grandparents and dad speak. Hadn’t realized how many 'Scansinisms still exist in my own speech. Lots of cross-over with ‘Minnesohtn’.

2 Likes

I like Kringles. We had one in October and I gobbled that thing up with coffee every morning for about a week. It was huge and we got it at Trader Joe’s.

But…how does that compare to the real deal? To me, it’s almost sacrilege to call anything ‘Kringle’ that wasn’t made in Racine or Denmark.

It was from Wisconsin. Shipped down here to the TJ’s. It was deeeeee-lish!

1 Like

Dem’s fightin’ words, eh!

1 Like

OK, that makes it proper. Now I feel an unholy urge to go to TJ’s after I pick up the boy from school.

2 Likes

O is too short. We would pronounce it close to “phone - due - lack”, but the N just nasalises the vowel - you don’t move your tongue at all when sounding it - and the “dy” sound in “due” (assuming that you come from an area that pronounces it as “dyoo”, not “doo”) becomes more sibilant.

Then you would be pronouncing it the way North American Francophones would pronounce it, and, if you master the N that nasalises the vowel, you’ll have mastered one of a pair of consonants that Anglos usually get wrong (the other being soft G or J).

Fond du Lac isn’t bad, but we up here who speak French tend to wince when we hear names like Gagne (Gagné) being pronounced “gag-nee” rather than “gah-nyeh”. Bound to happen in areas that are English-speaking, of course, but… ewww.

However, Wisconsin is great - they have curling. :smile:

2 Likes

What langwidj are you speakin? It’s FAWN-DUE-LACK WISS-CONN-SIN.

This isn’t a Scansism, but my dad and father in law both, without collusion, say:

Crick (creek)
Warsh (wash)
Warshington (Washington)

2 Likes

French of course. It means “bottom of the lake” when you say it right. :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh. I thought it meant denuded of fronds.

1 Like

Only at the local strip joints. :grin:

1 Like

Damn you spell check!!

This topic was automatically closed after 444 days. New replies are no longer allowed.