School board candidate checks out all LGBTQ books displayed at public library to make it a "safe place for children"

Hey, at last I can speak to a topic with INTIMATE knowledge, for this is indeed my own personal local library! The candidate is a deeply religious right-wing person who decided to use this as a campaign statement. She walked in during the Pride celebration on purpose, demanded they remove the display, and when they (rightly and proudly) refused, she checked out all the books on display to (in her words) “protect innocence.” She ALSO took all the Pride pins the library had for patrons to take and said she was upset her tax dollars were used to pay for such things.

Note: her tax dollars were not used to pay for them. Friends of the Brunswick Library paid for those and were allowed to put them in the library to give away.

Such bullshit. It was a campaign stunt, pure and simple. I was fucking PISSED. So, I contacted my library and told them that if they would like, I’d be happy to purchase additional copies of the books she is trying to deny others the right to read and will donate them to the library for their permanent collection. I let them know I was proud of the way they support our LGBTQ+ family and friends.

The library took the time to write me back and let me know they have lots of additional copies in stock and the display has already been refreshed. They also can draw on other books in the Frederick county library system if needed. I then directed my donation to Friends of the Brunswick Library with a note that they should make LOTS more Pride pins to put in the library.

A final note: Frederick County Maryland - and indeed all of Maryland - has a pretty robust system of support for teachers and school boards. The local alt-right nut jobs have been trying for years to get on the board, and keep failing. This attempt, too, will fail. They’ll go on microphone and have their pity parties, and then we’ll vote in sane people who won’t turn schools into their personal religious retreats.

67 Likes