Sci-fi author David Brin's recommended reading list

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/20/sci-fi-author-david-brins-re.html

2 Likes

Here’s a few of my recent faves:

• Anything by Octavia Butler
  • Anything by Becky Chambers
  • Murderbot series by Martha Wells
5 Likes

Murderbot books 1-4 are being given away free as .epub and .mobi downloads for subscribers to the tor.com newsletter! They are giving one away a day for the next four days to celebrate the 5th book in the series going on sale May 5th. At shuttered booksellers near you.

7 Likes

I’ve read 22 of those. I’m more of a geek than I thought. (But still way off uber-geekdom.)

Everything by Iain M. Banks
Ian McDonald’s Luna series (Dune quality)
N.K. Jemisin’s Broken Earth series
And for super fun, page turner reading
Charles Stross’ Laundry Files and Merchant Prince series
Naomi Novik’s Temeraire series

Thank you for letting us know! I’ve been wanting to read that series, but my library didn’t pick up the e-books.

Great! Glad to help a fellow mutant pursue happiness. Make sure you head over there today and for the next three days to get all four. Many folks seem to like that series. I’m just finishing up John Scalzi’s latest series.

And second jonathan_colvin’s recommendation of anything/everything by Iain M. Banks (without the M is even stranger but not sci fi). I’m tired of living in NK Jemisin’s Fifth Season (spoiler alert: the fifth season is Apocalypse). I also like Alastair Reyonld’s stuff (mb not so much the YA stuff?)

Further recommend getting the app called Libby. It links in with your library card and allows you to borrow many many ebooks for FREE. Reading Scalzi’s latest that way right now, but I am sure I can buy something to burnish his ban hammer some time soon. I often buy Cory’s stuff hardcover for similar reasons.

1 Like

Quarantine by Greg Egan is a great book.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Ads, ethics, and subscriptions revisited

How odd, Robert Heinlein’s non-juveniles are not listed as recommended reading for children.

Maybe reading them starting around age 8 contributed to my adult weirdness.

Largely good, but “Harry Potter and Methods of Rationality” belongs to no list of recommended reading.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.