Sci-Fi Sundays: Analog, December 1962

I was only referencing Maj. West’s suit as being perhaps influenced by the suit in RMfM. It’s obvious that nothing else in LIS relates to RMfM much less to old school sci-fi.

When I was reading through the index page, seeing a bunch of names I remeber from my Dad’s sci-fi collection, I wondered if “Alfred Pfanstiehl” was a pseudonym used by one of the authors to disguise them having two stories in the same magazine. Turns out he was a real proper atom boffin!

One of the details in Hedy Lamarr’s biography that really tickles me, is that her co-worker on frequency agile radio composed a concert piece for “player piano and aeroengine”; that sounds really avant-garde.

1 Like

Cowboys in space? Shiny. But I like this design better:

1 Like

The laws of aerodynamics and chemistry haven’t changed. As long as we’re limited to rockets, there’s only so many configurations which work efficiently.

The hollow fins were part of the aerodynamic stabilization. Something actual experimentation soon proved was less efficient than simple, flat fins.

1 Like

Indeed, those are some of my favorite spacesuits ever.

“Making Of ALIEN: Planetoid, Derelict, Space Jockey, and Space Suits”:

I don’t recall if it’s mentioned in this video, or I read it elsewhere: several of the space suit scenes featured Ridley Scott’s children in child-sized space suits, to make the surrounding set (Nostromo, alien pilot) appear proportionately larger.

1 Like

If they used a Merlin engine, that’d be wizard!

2 Likes

I did not know this!

2 Likes

2oyv77

1 Like

H. Beam Piper alone was worth the price of admission.

1 Like

wiener-dogs in space are nice too.

1 Like

OOOH! Thanks for this. I may have to start linking to the stories on these posts.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.