Science fiction and the law: beyond mere courtroom drama

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/07/samuel-t-cogley-esq.html

1 Like

Ahem. The latest issue of Locus carries my review of Rule of Capture. It’s quite a performance as an entertainment, and also full of thoughts worth thinking about. I think I’ll loan my copy to a retired-judge friend to get his angle on it.

2 Likes

Great piece. I’ll check out Christopher Brown’s book. And good to be reminded of Samuel T. Cogley, lawyer of the future.
I saw those exact books (or near enough) unceremoniously piled into dumpsters throughout law school and in practice.

that radical truth: that all law is ultimately just the expression of power through rules wrapped in an aura of legitimacy.

:+1:

2 Likes

I recall an article in (I think) the New Yorker (early 80’s - perhaps) by (maybe) Stanislaw Lem that detailed the ramifications of robot law - from a bot that was programmed to kill someone and then reassemble itself as a toaster (who’s to blame etc) and following a path of jurisprudence that was both absurd and obviously logical to the point where there was a collision of satellites in orbit that repaired itself and gained sentience and then declared itself an independent entity under various laws and the UN had to agree.

Who the hell wrote that? Lem? I’ve been looking for it for years.

2 Likes

Stanislaw Lem that detailed the ramifications of robot law - from a bot that was programmed to kill someone and then reassemble itself as a toaster (who’s to blame etc)

Brilliant! No one ever suspects the toaster.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.