Science fiction author Terry Bisson dead at 81

Originally published at: Science fiction author Terry Bisson dead at 81 - Boing Boing

7 Likes

Oh, sad day!

(updated link to director’s own upload)

18 Likes

Ya beat me to posting that.

RIP.

9 Likes

Fire on the Mountain is a truly excellent alternate history novel, one that gives additional insight into how integral Black people have been (and could have been) to the success of the U.S.

4 Likes

Sounds great. And like its title might be a nod to Baldwin’s The Fire Next Time and Go Tell It on the Mountain.

@beschizza , that bb piece you linked at the end is great! I wish you would get back to writing bb posts of your own again.

Please Please Cat GIF by Guldhart

6 Likes

He has long been one of my favorite authors, and I regret never having had the opportunity to meet him. Along with They’re Made Out of Meat, mentioned above, I highly recommend Bears Discover Fire and England Underway, both of which are masterful tales of fabulism. I’ve long considered him one of the strongest influences on my own short stories.

6 Likes

I still remember Terry doing a reading of the story at Lunacon just after it was published. It was pretty funny. I’m now trying to remember if that was the same year he organized an extended group reading of R A Lafferty stories, but it’s all a blur now. He was a great writer and a cool frood, he will be missed.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.