RIP, Terry Pratchett

[Permalink]

7 Likes

“…no-one is finally dead until the ripples they cause in the world die
away… The span of someone’s life, they say, is only the core of their
actual existence.”
Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man

Be that as it may, I was enjoying the core of his actual existence.

6 Likes

Well, dang.

RIP.

6 Likes

He retained his dignity to the end. That’s the one crumb of comfort I’m clinging to.

13 Likes

I weep today, more than I’ve wept in a long time. And I’m now going to go read Small Gods.

1 Like

Thanks.

Oh no. Me = sad.

Um, the link to http://www.pjsmprints.com/ redirects to 127.0.0.1 for some reason. I guess they were overloaded. (ETA: working now. What a strange redirect.)

Sad, but at least it wasn’t sudden. Turns out the release of the radio version of Good Omens was timely after all.

The Worst Day.

Time to read all of every single discworld novel until I process my fanboy grief. :cry:

“The sun rose slowly, as if it wasn’t sure it was worth all the effort.”

8 Likes

I was doing fine until I saw the tweets…

20 Likes

Terry Pratchett was the best theologian ever to write fantasy - no, scrap that, the best student of politics ever to explore political systems through an alternate universe - no, scrap that, one of the few writers who deserved his knighthood because his work encouraged multiculturalism and diversity - no, scrap that, someone who never went to university yet managed to explain how academia works in terms ordinary people could understand.
And now Ankh-Morpork will never get past the 19th century. It’s going to be stuck there in limbo, half way into the steam age, its institutions starting to develop an educated democracy, its ruler substituting jaw-jaw for war-war. But at least the dwarves and the trolls are talking not fighting and there’s a mission out to rescue the remaining orcs.
Requiescat in pace, Sir Terry. I can’t begin to do you justice, I hope others will.

16 Likes

You’re never ready for this, even when you know it’s coming. His voice will be missed, but he brought a great deal of joy to a great number of people.

5 Likes

Too, too damn young. I was hoping he’d be around for a few more years… and a few more years after that, and…

3 Likes

Welp. Time to finish the remaining DW books (how many after Monstrous Regiment?) and then start over from the beginning again.

“…no-one is finally dead until the ripples they cause in the world die
away… The span of someone’s life, they say, is only the core of their
actual existence.”

Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man

Dang. But I was so enjoying the core of his actual existence

Thank you, Terry

RIP Sir Terry

All the Nac Mac Feegle bow their heads and raise their swords as your spirit passes.

1 Like

What a huge loss. I’ve only read one of his books, but enjoyed it enormously. I’ll fix that immediately.

I only discovered Discworld about ten years ago from bookcrossing, and I immediately felt the need to read more. I found Terry’s writing very easy for my dyslexia to cope with and he was one of the few authors who I go out of my way to buy their dead tree books.

It was only last week I was wondering what the next Discworld book would be. :’(

Terry was the first author to make me want to read books. Hit wit and intelligence (and intelligent wit) was exactly what I needed to make me love reading. I am very glad I got to see him in person and meet him, and will always treasure that. And I can’t wait to share his books with my kids.

1 Like