Science FTW

I wanted to post something I found interesting, and discovered that we don’t seem to have a thread for posting science articles in general (as opposed to on specific topics).

So, here it is (unless I’ve missed something, in which case please clue me in!).

20 Likes
12 Likes
11 Likes

For those who hadn’t seen this

10 Likes

Obligatory:

13 Likes

Season 3 Wall GIF by The Simpsons

7 Likes
2 Likes

I like it, but I’ve got to admit the label on the toggle for the switching the display between metric and imperial measurements (i.e., “English / Metric”) made me twitch a little. It’s science; please stop measuring things like a bumpkin.

4 Likes

At least they have since updated the webbsite to allow you to choose between Time and Distance on the scale. Previously it was a unitless scale that defaulted to elapsed time which was really confusing.

5 Likes

Joint European Torus celebrates 100,000 pulses: Neither Brexit nor middle age has stopped '80s era experiment

A milestone was reached this week by the Joint European Torus (JET): the 100,000th pulse of the fusion energy experiment.

JET, which is located at the Culham Centre for Fusion Energy in the English county of Oxfordshire, has a history going back to 1975. The Culham site was chosen in 1977 and the doughnut-shaped tokamak achieved its first plasma in 1983 (the Queen did the official switching on duties the following year.)

[…]

6 Likes

Burning plasma signals step forward in race for nuclear fusion as researchers get bigger capsule for their 192-laser experiment

US scientists have succeeded in demonstrating self-heating plasma in a crucial step towards self-sustaining fusion energy.

Researchers at National Ignition Facility (NIF) at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in California have published a peer-reviewed paper describing how they achieved burning plasma — where the heat from fusing nuclei take over as the main source of fuel heating — across four experiments which each produced more than 100 kilojoules of energy.

[…]

4 Likes
8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

6 Likes

This whole video seems to be a play on words.

2 Likes
6 Likes
5 Likes
8 Likes

It’s not heavy, it’s big boned.

13 Likes