Science FTW

6 Likes

8 Likes

Now that can be edited into a good inscription for the old headstone.

7 Likes

:thinking:
Coffin - Chrysalis - Butterfly?

Flying Inoshiro Honda GIF by Turner Classic Movies

:grimacing:
No… more like this:

GIF by Soul Train

8 Likes

:thinking:

From

7 Likes

On the other hand…

7 Likes

@chenille , continuing our previous conversation, but with baby poo!

7 Likes

Quantum trees.

5 Likes

That had “AI prompt” written all over it.

2 Likes

Blown Away Wow GIF by Aminé

Quantum Trees indeed! (Cool band name too!)

5 Likes
10 Likes

That’s fascinating, and incredibly important if it holds up. Wow, I’m gonna have to process that for a bit. With all my usual one-study provisos, this could be a true game changer.

11 Likes

We had a discussion upthread regarding viruses, so here is some more, just because I find them fascinating.

With increasing numbers of multiresistant bacteria arising all the time, unleashing a much more selective bacteria-killer sounds like an excellent idea!

In a bow to the No More Than 2 Replies In A Row, Mortal, I will add this as an edit:

“Einstein was wrong” is almost always click-bait, but this is pretty interesting. To my (very not-physicist) brain, this seems to indicate that something, some form of information, is capable of moving faster than light in a “spooky action at a distance” way that upset Einstein so much. I instantly go to “it travels through subspace, and all we have to do is access it to go FTL.” Yeah, way too much sci-fi in my head, but it is interesting.

12 Likes

10 minutes…watch it!

6 Likes
8 Likes

The opposite answer from the last novel approach that seemed to settle it. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes
5 Likes

You beat me to it, but here is the source paper

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-023-05936-6

We report new chromosome-scale genomes for a ctenophore and two marine sponges, and for three unicellular relatives of animals (a choanoflagellate, a filasterean amoeba and an ichthyosporean) that serve as outgroups for phylogenetic analysis. We find ancient syntenies that are conserved between animals and their close unicellular relatives. Ctenophores and unicellular eukaryotes share ancestral metazoan patterns, whereas sponges, bilaterians, and cnidarians share derived chromosomal rearrangements.

Honestly, I take a week off, and get totally lost! :grin:

10 Likes

Cool stuff! My nickel summary I posted on the thread of the bb story about this:

10 Likes

Patient: Doc, I feel horrible.
Doc: Eat shit, buddy.

10 Likes