Science FTW

2 Likes
1 Like

This is both good and horrifying

10 Likes

Yes. Though I would choose to know.

5 Likes

Time until insurance companies make it a compulsory part of a regular physical: 5… 4… 3…

Time until insurance companies deny all coverage upon a positive result: ahaha trick question they already do and it’s completely legal.

5 Likes

Cross-posting about progress in using gene therapy to restore hearing in children who have hereditary deafness:

scientists say similar treatments could someday help many more kids with other types of deafness caused by genes. Globally, 34 million children have deafness or hearing loss, and genes are responsible for up to 60% of cases. Hereditary deafness is the latest condition scientists are targeting with gene therapy, which is already approved to treat illnesses such as sickle cell disease and severe hemophilia.

3 Likes

Yeah, I worry about the ramifications of a test for a horrifying disease that we have no effective treatment for yet.

7 Likes
5 Likes
6 Likes

(Now I have that infernal song running thru my head, but sharks are still cool)

7 Likes

Being one fascinated by the RNA World hypothesis, as well as the potential for a “shadow biome,” this is really exciting. Further study required, of course, but yeah, fascinating.

4 Likes
9 Likes
5 Likes

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/02/climate/sun-shade-climate-geoengineering.html?unlocked_article_code=1.Sk0.vor6.0gxwFw_-TVZK&bgrp=g&smid=url-share

gift liink

2 Likes

Their example of an ambitious idea that turned out really well is Tesla?

Oh No Omg GIF by The Office

2 Likes
4 Likes

This idea must have been proposed at least every other decade since the 1950ies (if not earlier) to solve this or enable that.

TeHrz2
And Matt Groening is free to steal ideas from himself as long as the result is still funny.

4 Likes

a53100d9-0df4-4b9e-8832-6c87c80280ef_text

4 Likes

researchers attached tiny sensors to moths and dragonflies… to study in detail how dragonflies will circle endlessly around light sources, positioning themselves with their backs facing the beams. They also documented that some insects will flip upside down in the presence of lights that shine straight upward

Insect flight was least disrupted by bright lights that shine straight downward, the researchers found.

“For millions of years, insects oriented themselves by sensing that the sky is light, the ground is dark” — until people invented artificial lights, said Avalon Owens, a Harvard entomologist who was not involved in the research.

5 Likes

cross-posted from Good Encouraging Stuff Part 2

9 Likes