Science FTW

Yes and no. Technically, as a juror, you’re just supposed to consider the evidence presented at trial and the laws as they are written. However, you are also allowed to follow your conscience, and there’s nothing preventing you from deciding that you just don’t believe the prosecution’s expert witness. For whatever reason. You don’t really have to explain yourself. Also, as you may be aware, jury nullification is a real thing, and it is legal. And in the situation you are describing, that is essentially what you would be engaging in.

6 Likes

thanks! i appreciate the insight

( eta: and thanks for posting that article. it was an interesting read )

4 Likes

IMG_4074

IMG_4077

9 Likes

Braintini, anyone?

Not to nag around - this is quite a promising step and very interesting - but not killing a little clump of something that is technically brain tissue in a freeze/thaw cycle is still a long, long, long way from reanimating an actual, frozen brain with the information in it intact. Which kinda is the whole point.
Don’t book a personal space in a cryogenics facility just yet, folks.

4 Likes

Who needs Cordyceps?

8 Likes

12 Likes
6 Likes
6 Likes

Study shows sexual parasitism helped anglerfish invade the deep sea during a time of global warming

https://phys.org/news/2024-05-sexual-parasitism-anglerfish-invade-deep.amp

7 Likes

Oh no, this bodes poorly for us, doesn’t it?

6 Likes

Not for me, personally.

6 Likes

Exactly…

5 Likes

Are you imagining a world where males just have the single purpose to find a mate, after which they get permanent cuddles and never have to worry about anything else again? Because speaking as a member of a species that has to try to make up meaning for several decades as its body decays, it doesn’t sound all that bad.

7 Likes
8 Likes

OK, so if you are prepared to have your mind blow a circuit breaker, try this article.

7 Likes

It feels weird to discuss the existence of neutrinos without mentioning angular momentum. That’s what actually predicted them. A neutron of spin ±½ decays into a proton of spin ±½ and an electron of spin ±½…conservation couldn’t work unless there was an extra particle.

I might also note that neutrinos are all left-handed but antineutrinos are all right-handed. It’s because they only interacting via the weak force, which for whatever reason always only applies to left-handed particles and right-handed antiparticles. So if they were their own antiparticle there wouldn’t actually be a gap.

Flavor oscillation is weird but believe it or not was expected if they have some mass. I understand other particles would do it too except that the masses of their flavors are so extremely different.

8 Likes

For way too long we have minimized the intelligence of our fellow inhabitants of this here rock. We don’t need SETI to find other intelligences, we have them in our backyard!

11 Likes
11 Likes
9 Likes

For all of us who frequently say

Here is another up-and-coming therapy to bring that to pass.

12 Likes