Science FTW

Have you ever seen a baby horseshoe crab? The stage is actually called a trilobite larva from the resemblance.

Horseshoe crab larva

They don’t have the antennae though, which is a sign they go with arachnids instead. For a long time they were thought to be their closest aquatic relatives, but now it looks like they are arachnids and other groups moved onto land independently.

11 Likes

I had not, but that is really cool! (And I am such a nerd!)

Raised Triops once upon a time, and thought they looked very trilobite-ish as well.

8 Likes
6 Likes

Scientists baffled?

5 Likes

They were getting a bit shouty.

6 Likes

For those wondering why the Americas differ in the number of tornadoes that form every year:

7 Likes

Certainly suggests microbial life should be pretty ubiquitous. And the suggestion that they were already dealing with viruses plays along with my favorite, the RNA world hypothesis.

3 Likes
6 Likes

We’ve been working on this since I started, in the 80s. It really is only a matter of time to get it right. And yes, I’ve read those sci-fi stories as well. I don’t know, man. Just keeps getting more and more dystopian.

8 Likes

At least we’ll be able to transfer fetuses into men opposing abortion rights.

Step up dudes - put your money where your mouth is.

11 Likes

Yup!

Step right up, step right up and get your free fetus! A limited time offer, as they must be thrown out by tomorrow at midnight if not claimed. Free implantation with every adoption. Step right up, fellas!

8 Likes

Interesting facts about invertebrates.

3 Likes
7 Likes
11 Likes
8 Likes

Any data on WASPs?

6 Likes

I’ve known several - so only anecdotal.

4 Likes

Still parasitic.

7 Likes