Scientists detected a new coronavirus and it's jumping from dogs to people

Originally published at: Scientists detected a new coronavirus and it's jumping from dogs to people | Boing Boing

4 Likes

This is fine. Everything is fine.

19 Likes

Republican dog whistles about this are going to have an unexpected result.

13 Likes

Worse yet: most dogs refuse to wear a mask or social distance.

15 Likes

F@ck this shit, I’m going into hiding.

tumblr_inline_mh0lpb5zfo1qaa9rq540

14 Likes

pose-pray-greaaat

14 Likes

Sad Cbs GIF by Paramount+

Sawry, I really didn’t mean to infect you.

18 Likes

Wow, I didn’t realize that (identified) pathogenic Coronaviruses were this rare.

This all sounds scary AF, but I wonder how much this will reveal that many diseases are triggered by completely unidentified pathogens that new treatments can address. My mother and wife have both been diagnosed with lifelong effects stemming from a probable childhood pathogen that were unidentified or misdiagnosed.

8 Likes

Well, at least it isn’t lions. I hear they can open doors now. Nowhere would be safe from that virus.

10 Likes

entirely new coronavirus associated with pneumonia in hospitalized patients — mostly in kids

who aren’t eligible for the vaccine.

1 Like

Which vaccine? The anti-pneumonia shot? Kids are certainly able to get that one (here in the UK, anyway, as the link describes).

Or the Covid shot? Well, the Covid shot aint gonna work against this new doggie coronavirus any more than it works against the common cold coronavirus, I guess.

2 Likes

pneumonia is a type of infection, not a pathogen. (it’s caused by fungi, viruses, parasites and bacteria.) The pneumococcal vaccine immunizes patients against Streptococcus pneumoniae.

It does not protect against coronaviruses

1 Like

Right. But it was not clear which vaccine you were referring to.

It is now clear you were talking about the Covid vaccine, then. I think I covered that, too, though I guess there’s always a possibility one of the Covid vaccines will also address the canine coronavirus.

Me: “I just got my second shot!”

/reads news

8 Likes

There’s some speculation about mRNA vaccines being rather versatile.

Still, if the next pandemic uses children as hosts, it would be useful if these vaccines are approved for pediatric use, instead of being restricted to over-12s. I guess one of the reason taht approval has been slow to come is that adults, being the main reservoir of Covid-19, have priority.

1 Like

Versatile against Covid-19 variants/mutations - thankfully. Hopefully, the methodology will be versatile enough to swiftly create new vaccines for new coronaviruses (like this canine one, should it become a threat).
And there’s already some evidence the Covid vaccine is ok for teens (12-15) and the trials continue in younger children.
https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-biontech-announce-positive-topline-results-pivotal

1 Like

eWGLi3t

4 Likes

Escaped from the Lab?

1 Like

Happy Feliz GIF by Victoria Justice

5 Likes

Um… SOB?