Scientists have successfully performed CRISPR gene editing in a live human body for the first time ever

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/09/scientists-have-successfully-p.html

3 Likes

Totally misleading headline.

2 Likes

the potential to make these kinds of changes in live human bodies is huge

This is the timeline Iain Banks envisaged when he wrote of Culture people changing their gender ad hoc.

As opposed to the timeline where authoritarian fuckwits will find some other use for it.
(You want orcs? This is probably how you get orcs.) Watch this space. Sigh.

8 Likes

This is fantastic and I cannot wait to hear more. But at this stage I’ve read too many sci-fi stories that this also terrifies me.

4 Likes

Is this a good thing? I’m not sure. Would I love it to cure my auto-immune disease? Yes But what are the consequences? It might be, and it might not be, but once the lightening is out of the bottle there’s no way to control it.

1 Like

Wow, this is dangerous.

If we’re getting into “Weapon X” territory then I call dibs on psychokinesis!

3 Likes

I want the superpower that lets me nullify anyone else’s superpower when they’re in my vicinity.

5 Likes

Party pooper!
But probably sensible.

Still not sure if a prehensile tail is better than whiskers or whether I’d just opt for controllable deafness on public transport.

2 Likes

Forget Lab Safety, I Want Superpowers

14 Likes

Once I had five dental x-rays done in one day and I got nothing. Disappointing.

4 Likes

This is really cool.
So a little background I think the post left out: viruses can’t replicate their own DNA so they hijack their host’s cells to replicate it for them. People have now hijacked the hijackers. If a lab makes a new virus, it can insert new DNA into the virus that the host will transcribe (and you can also prevent the virus from replicating more of itself). Here they took viral transfection a step further and had the host transcribe CRISPR sequences that themselves changed DNA production by marking particularly genes of the patient for deletion. In this case it is intended to delete a defective gene which screws up vision. Biology has entered a wild new world.

5 Likes

Or malware. Visions of Raijaniemi’s wild code ravaged earth.

2 Likes

That’s why none of the other X-Men ever invite Leech to their parties.

2 Likes

Something always goes wrong.

Fortunately, nothing that a top hat, bow tie, and a tux can’t remedy.

3 Likes

Who needs Sci Fi? Oops…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.