Researchers have found a way to reliably remove disease-causing mutations from human embryos

WOW! Go science!

“Scientists for the first time have successfully edited genes in human embryos to repair a common and serious disease-causing mutation, producing apparently healthy embryos”

1 Like

If viable, I consider that child a new (and totally respectable, rightswise) subspecies of homo sapiens. We should be treading with some care here, but humility is SO 20th century. Oh well, only one way we ever do learn things, slowly and with much pain.

1 Like

This should inspire hope for researchers around the world in the hopes that there might be a way to cure some of humanities worst diseases.

Good news indeed.

Could be time for a subspecies anyway…

2 Likes

Does the left hand ever give without the right hand taking? Or vice versa?

My 25 years of environmental sciences say… nope.

I hope there is some sort of mandatory notifications when these folks get to breeding age. Full disclosure.

I can’t even imagine, with the way we treat minorities already, that we’re sociologically prepared for this and its backlash. Not everyone is going to see these people as deserving ‘natural rights’.

1 Like

“Don’t swallow if you’re against GMOs”?

1 Like

I don’t understand.

It wasn’t that subtle though…

Still have no idea what you’re getting at.

I think they’re saying that all foods have some sort of human intervention into them. The nature of farming is domesticating wild plants, after all.

1 Like

Well now cannibals need to be concerned about GMOs, too.

(I also suspect, at the moment, that that user was making a lewd reference)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.