Scientists have created the first synthetic human embryos

Originally published at: Scientists have created the first synthetic human embryos | Boing Boing

4 Likes

I’m all for science, but boy will the Qnuts and evangelicals run wild with this.

13 Likes

Cue the inevitable freak outs…

12 Likes

“Begun, the Clone War has.”

11 Likes

Brooding Blade Runner GIF

14 Likes

Get a move on, science-dweebs; papa needs a new pancreas!

18 Likes
5 Likes

Terminating an unwanted/defective fetus is one thing, but specifically creating a fetus just do experiments on? I think many people across the political spectrum would also have problems with that.

7 Likes

But when they were implanted into the wombs of female mice, they did not develop into live animals.

So soulless hell spawn then?

5 Likes

This reminds of a political bombshell which is already with us: IVF (in vitro fertilization). …worked as a lowly lab tech waay back in the 80s when that procedure was just getting underway and they regularly made lots of extra human embryos and tossed out all but the most promising; as far as i know that’s still the protocol. So where IVF in the republican hegemony against reproductive rights? The ‘customers’ for IVF were some of the most …persistent, and often rich, folks i’ve ever encountered. So it wouldn’t surprise me a bit if the always hypocritical republicans were specifically avoiding those reproductive options where some of the most entitled tend to hang-out -sigh-

10 Likes

Fascinating, although the term “synthetic” doesn’t really seem to apply here given the nature of the research. Very real cells in fact, nothing artificial about them at all (unless I’m missing a scientific definition of synthetic that works).

6 Likes

Can I put an order in for knees? They’re easier, right?

10 Likes

Very real cells but not zygotes, so they had to be artificially induced to become embryos.

8 Likes

Syngenor (1990) - IMDb

3 Likes

Giving me heavy flashbacks to short lived and underappreciated 90’s SF series

Space Above and Beyond

4 Likes

I appreciated it. Damn, dirty, low-down Chigs!

2 Likes

Coming soon to laboratory near you:

3 Likes

I’m thinking Cloud Atlas here.

4 Likes

Still traumatized by the scene where they feed the clones back to themselves. Protein is hard to come by! Gaahhh!!

4 Likes

I have some extra midriff if anyone wants it?

4 Likes