Chinese scientists are making human-monkey hybrid embryos

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/01/chinese-scientists-are-making.html

2 Likes

Get in early to order your own Organ Inc. Pigoon™.*

1. Organ Inc. not responsible for incidental cannibalism or loss of global civilization.
20 Likes

Not only are stories from The Onion coming true, now stories from Weekly World News are coming true as well.

31 Likes

Stop the Planet of the Apes, I Want to Get Off!

20 Likes

I wonder if they have a lair?

6 Likes

But are they happy mutants?

23 Likes

I for one welcome our new human-monkey overlords!

10 Likes

Nothing like animals having human cells in them to assist in diseases jumping species barriers.

34 Likes

So. What could possibly go wrong?

And shouldn’t the headline read “Spanish and Chinese Scientists…”?

[T]he Spanish-born biologist Juan Carlos Izpisúa Belmonte, who operates a lab at the Salk Institute in California,

15 Likes

Nooooooooo… I don’t like monkeys… this is a waking nightmare.

5 Likes

Leave the poor monkeys alone.

If human organs were viable in another species, then there organs would likely be viable in us, so whats the point of the years of monkey torture to try put human organs in them.
It just seems like immoral, expensive, risky research done purely to see if they can.

5 Likes

24 Likes

12 Likes

If I needed a new heart and one could be grown using my own cells but it had to be done inside a monkey? Um sorry monkey with human heart but… sign me up.

I’d prefer it be grown in a human clone of myself (ala The Island, or never let me go). Still even more preferable to be a clone that’s missing a brain or some critical mass of neurons so that it doesn’t suffer.

4 Likes

Going to the zoo is going to get weird.

10 Likes
10 Likes

We’re far closer already to just building the organ in a lab. This is an unnecessary way to accomplish that task.

21 Likes

and you’d also be ok with the many thousands of monkeys killed researching how to do it, in the hopes that it might be possible, and that you might develop a heart problem needing a transplant thats discovered with the years of lead time needed for a custom you-monkey hybrid to grow large enough for that heart to be able to pump blood to even a small part of your body?

That seems like one hell of a high risk-reward ratio.

6 Likes

tumblr_pv3z1pAxxQ1y1iy7lo1_540

40 Likes

well if I was the only conceivable beneficiary… no I’m not actually that selfish. If it’s thousands of human lives? vs thousands of monkey lives? It’s not a difficult decision. Sorry not sorry?

3 Likes