Wrongful death lawsuit filed against fertility clinic after frozen embryos were dropped on the floor

Originally published at: Wrongful death lawsuit filed against fertility clinic after frozen embryos were dropped on the floor | Boing Boing

“Embryonic human beings are human beings.”

avengers-tony-stark-eyeroll

26 Likes

These are the same [conservative] people who would typically shrink from the idea that: women’s rights are human rights.

25 Likes

Of course they’re not, they’re not even spelled the same! :roll_eyes:

13 Likes

Someone sooner should have called youth services on the parents for putting their baby in a freezer.

44 Likes

I know I prefer being kept at subzero temperatures. As all functioning, viable humans do.

12 Likes
25 Likes

So in the alternate timeline, where they successfully implanted the embryos and 14 of them developed into fetuses, would the selective culling of those fetuses also be “wrongful death”? You can’t have fertility treatments like this without abortion.

21 Likes

I hate this stupid timeline so much…

24 Likes

TIL that fark.com is still alive somehow.

2 Likes

Permit me to introduce you to Octomom.

2 Likes

Hmmmm. So clinics are now responsible for the actions of patients? If I punch someone in the face while in a medical center the center is responsible, not me?

(yes, yes, also it shouldn’t be wrongful death, but should it even be the clinic?)

5 Likes

To some extent, sure. If they left drugs sitting in an unlocked cabinet where any wandering rando could access them then they’d be in deep doo-doo. There’s no reason to keep embryos in a freezer that a patient could freely access. Still doesn’t make it a wrongful death case though.

20 Likes

I wonder if the plaintiffs in this case are thinking they’ll still be able to get fertility services after this. Sure, they may get money, but they ain’t gonna get those babies they wanted.

1 Like

Wrongful death? Maybe not but certainly if someone had a contract with a business to care for one of their most valuable possessions and that business didn’t take very basic precautions like maybe a lock on the freezer and room where those things are stored then yes, they should be sued.

Unless I missed something about the patient watching a Lock Picking Lawyer video and getting an unpickable lock open the clinic may not have met up to their end of the deal.

8 Likes

This may well have been their last chance to have biological children at all. I’ve been through the IVF process, it’s an unpleasant procedure for the woman and even in ideal circumstances you don’t get an unlimited number of embryos.

So I get why the prospective parents are upset even if I don’t agree that this should be a wrongful death case.

21 Likes

Fetus worshipers oppose IVF too for the most part. They are ridiculously malicious.

5 Likes

Right, but these people are arguing for the fetus worshipers position in a way that is inconsistent with what they actually wanted to happen. I understand their grief and they have every right to feel cheated but I don’t think it is right for them to do so in a way that makes it easier for right wingers to restrict IVF, take away women’s rights and endanger women’s lives.

6 Likes

A lawsuit is reasonable. This:

“Wrongfully causing and/or allowing the death of an embryonic human being is no different than causing the death of a human being at any other stage of life,” the lawsuit states. “Embryonic human beings are human beings.”

is cuckoo bananas crazypants.

It occurred to me, listening to some anti-choice nutter proclaiming that embryos were “babies,” that if we take this at face value, because they have no functional nervous system and generally few if any functional organs, they’d be legally dead. But a microscopic mass of undifferentiated cells isn’t even a corpse, it’s a tissue sample. Arguing it has any worth at all, besides what the would-be parents put on it, is totally perverse.

17 Likes

Criminal negligence? Sure.

‘Wrongful death’ is some hyperbolic BS, even if it was the couples’ last chance; because ‘potential life’ is NOT the same as actual life that has already come to fruition.

19 Likes