Scientists may have found bits of the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs

Originally published at: Scientists may have found bits of the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs | Boing Boing

ā€¦

8 Likes

Landed in (what is now) the Gulf of Mexico, hit by shrapnel in North Dakota. Quite the explosion.

14 Likes

It all happened 6 thousand years ago, I heard, just the other day.

16 Likes

I wonder if it would have preserved that giant shit I would have made when it hit?

5 Likes

All I have to say about this is:

7 Likes

Unfortunately forensic investigators say the fragments are so degraded with time that they are unlikely to yield fingerprints, serial numbers or any other information to identify who the killer was.

11 Likes

It was enough to leave a layer of Iridium in the fossil record worldwide, and is known as the K-T boundary. It marks the end of the dominance of dinosaurs [except for birds] and the rise of the dominance of mammals [who had co-existed alongside dinosaurs for tens of millions of years [and still do]].

2 Likes

Oh what a day it was.

the good dinosaur space GIF by Disney Pixar

6 Likes

It was all a conspiracy to hide the KFC boundary.

2 Likes

So what Iā€™m hearing is that we need to plant a literal crap-ton of pine trees now, so future generations can learn what happened to us.

6 Likes

Unlike most similar stories, this is one of the few occasions where the NYT exculpatory tense would be appropriate:

Stray Bullet Asteroid Fragment Kills Dinosaurs, 323M y.o.

3 Likes

If we plant a literal crap-ton of pine trees now we stand a better chance of having a future, so yeah.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.