Scientists taught a spider to jump on command

Them and House Centipedes. Won’t find em where there’s not some other critters to hunt. Spiders are my 2nd fave arthropods, I had a red leg tarantula in college. Don’t look too closely at their “faces” when you’re really high.

Favorites are Mantids. Breeding exotic mantids is on my retirement hobbies list, right after distilling brandy.

5 Likes

in the 5th grade (58 yrs ago), I caught a desert scorpion (scorpions are arachnids too). I trained him to come out from under his rock when I fed him by whistling. feed was one windowsill (noctuid) moth every 3 days, he was pretty fat but lived over a year.

3 Likes

When my kids were smaller we’d order mantis egg cases for the garden, and catch one when they got big enough, like 2" long. The kids would net flies and insert them in the terrarium I made with a hatch for that purpose. Those were well fed mantis’s, it was hugely entertaining watching them stalk the flies. Once I caught a huge grasshopper, I thought the mantis was going to explode. Sadly, Mantids also live only one season.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.