Scientists unlock methods for testing evil

I expect it’s pretty high at age 2, then a slight peak during the teens, and then probably a show, steady upward progression in old age as the social inhibitors in the brain burn out.

And then for certain cases (e.g. someone whose name rhymes with Cucker Tarlson), it’s probably a flat bar at the top of the graph.

3 Likes

Regular testing people to score them on how much of a jerk they have potential for makes sense if those people are placed in positions of public trust. Or were those tendencies would cause harm to others.

I think all cops should be tested to see if they are Sadists.

Spoilers for Psycho-Pass go watch it. It’s great, but I can’t talk about it without spoilers.

Let’s not put the Disembodied brains of those with high scores in charge of our society.

1 Like

10 Likes

6 Likes

If you follow a trail of links you can get to a D factor test which is (like all these internet psychology self-tests) at least mildly amusing.

I got an overall score of 2.33 out of ??? because in an incredible bit of design they don’t show you what the boundries are. But it looked like I’m about 25-30% evil.

2 Likes

snl-satan-not-monster

10 Likes

That’s a pretty grim view of humanity. There’s always disease, drugs, depression, death of a loved one that has the potential to knock us off the miopic path and instill some modicum of empathy and humility.

2 Likes

7 Likes

Thanks for wishing me the best!

2 Likes

(edited to be more clear- it’s the ‘path of evil’, not your viewpoint. oops)

2 Likes

I think it’s totally normal for infants and teens to be more self-absorbed than at different ages, and some degree of our decency is based on the social constructs we build for ourselves, which naturally deteriorate with our frontal lobes.

We’d still be better off if the presidency was held by my two year old than the majority of its occupants during my life time.

4 Likes
2 Likes

7 Likes

The people I’ve known that sttike me as evil, the thing that strikes me is how small their world turns out to be. They strive to be a big fish in a small pond, and if their actions make the pond smaller still, thats a net gain for them.

On the other end of the scale, the most ethical people I’ve met, take exactly the opposite strategy. They strive to build a larger world with more room in it, whether or not it benefits them in particular.

The biggest/most impressive pattern to my mind, is when scientists work to prove their own hypothese wrong. Their world is so big, there’s no room for personal gain at the expense of the truth. Its an exercise in humility.

Back at the bottom of the scale, the place where this kind of evil seems to grow and thrive seems to be where evil people look out for each other, collaborate in making the pond smaller… and they seem to get away with it because those with a better conscience can’t fathom whats going on. I hope this kind of research can help build society’s psychic immune system, so we stop falling for the same scams again and again.

15 Likes

yep, its selfish fucks all the way down.

1 Like

The thing with IKEA instructions is that you have to follow them. If you do that, most likely you will have zero trouble. But if you start improvising or skipping ahead because you think you know what you’re doing, you’re more than likely to screw things up. It’s just that reading the instructions and obediently following them is anathema to (mostly male) geeks, so we end up with tons of people complaining about it online.

9 Likes

1 Like

yes, exactly. add to that our tendency to rush through things, which also cause mistakes. i am continually reminded when assembling their things just how specific and detailed they are, even in their cartoony-ness. i think they are great examples of illustrative work.

3 Likes

Yes, and it follows we are a nation of evil. Only, it should be pronounced “eee-ville”

2 Likes

Or is it a touch of SWEEVIL?!?

2 Likes