Scientists win 2022 Nobel Prize by proving that reality is not locally real

Originally published at: Scientists win 2022 Nobel Prize by proving that reality is not locally real | Boing Boing

8 Likes

His “reality” is not mine.

4 Likes

5 Likes

This was extremely important work. Many congratulations.

3 Likes

HANDLE WITH EXTREME CARE: This Product Contains Minute Electrically Charged Particles Moving at Velocities in Excess of Five Hundred Million Miles Per Hour.

CAUTION: The Mass of This Product Contains the Energy Equivalent of 85 Million Tons of TNT per Net Ounce of Weight.

WARNING : This Product Warps Space and Time in Its Vicinity.

17 Likes

If my sports team loses, I wonder if I watched it from home instead of where I was if the team would have won instead. I ask my friends if the game would have happened exactly like it did no matter where I watched it from and they look at me like I have lost mind.
So is superstition real or has the cat really been dead this whole time?

7 Likes

If I switch on the radio and, almost immediately, the opposition team scores a goal, I wonder if it is my fault. I do not discuss this with friends.

6 Likes

It’s the Reality NIMBYs.

3 Likes

adam savage mythbusters GIF

3 Likes

the matrix there is no spoon GIF

7 Likes

OW my head. i went to art school, so i figured it would be best to go with the comic explanation rather than the video. no help there either. but yay science anyway, even if a lot of it goes right by me.

8 Likes

The comic only seems to be a ‘clear’ explainer for someone already familiar with the concepts it describes, making it a pretty bad explainer.

1 Like

Everything is constantly being observed and measured all the time. Two molecules in air bumping into eachother is an observation; light reflecting off a surface is a measurement.

1 Like

This video helped me open up a bit, and they sell adorable Schrodinger plushies!

3 Likes

I just made a cup of tea, there definitely was a spoon.

But I’m not looking at the spoon now so maybe there isn’t one - but there WAS one.

5 Likes

Reminds me of:

“I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too.”
― Mitch Hedberg

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.