Search-warrant demands that Google turn over account info, Android info, all accounts and passwords, calendar, contacts, cloud docs, financial data, photos, location history, search history, call records, etc

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/17/organize-the-worlds-informatio-2.html

1 Like

Fishing expedition in progress…

How did such an insanely broad warrant get approved?

Is the guy suspected of personally murdering a million children?

Ah, here it is…

38 Likes

“Uh … fuck no, Your Honor.”

9 Likes

Would Google even have passwords for any of their users? Most likely not - only hashes.

2 Likes

For sure not. It is just a warrant for anything they have. Probably a lot of the other things don’t apply either, but that doesn’t stop anyone from listing it in a search warrant.

6 Likes

It’s difficult to even imagine an alleged crime that would justify this broad a warrant. So much for judicial oversight, huh Magistrate Judge Michael E. Pastor?

12 Likes

And he wasn’t charged with committing the murder, he was charged as an accomplice for sitting in the get a way car. They charged the 16 year old as an adult going for life in prison. Call me crazy, but that kid getting legal representation sounds like a good thing.

Also, this is one of the long list of reasons to ungoogle the internet

11 Likes

Sgt. Biddle has a search warrant with your name on it.

16 Likes

At the very least the time frame sounds insane. Even a request for all types of data should be restricted to the time frame for whatever their probable cause is relevant to. “From the date of account creation” makes no legal sense to me – even if the warrant said “between 2000 and today” or something which was in practice equivalent.

7 Likes

All ur datas…out of the frying pan and into the fire.

5 Likes

Seems like this judge ought to be recalled for an egregious lapse of duty. How in the world could such a broad search warrant ever get approved?

5 Likes

https://passwords.google.com/

If you have ever

1. connected Chrome to your Google account
  2. instructed Chrome to remember a website password for you

…then there will be plaintext passwords there for your perusal.

There may be other mechanisms by which passwords might end up in that list, I’m not sure.

Also there’s wifi passwords - if you’ve set your wifi passwords to be part of what your Android device syncs to Google’s cloud storage, so they get updated on change or imported for convenience as soon as you connect a new Android device, that’s more passwords of yours Google would have.

7 Likes

Because I’ve set a passphrase, Google is saying that they can’t know my passwords. I don’t know how true that is, but that’s still interesting.

9 Likes

Interesting! That’s a feature I wasn’t aware of.

2 Likes

I guess it’s good that cops don’t know about the * selector?

3 Likes

The law is probably worded such that they have to specifically ask for everything they want, in order to make it obvious when they’re just going fishing.

Either these cops made an incredible case to the judge or they know who to ask to get things rubber stamped.

5 Likes

Interesting… was this the only warrant? (Eg did they request cell phone call records too?)

I wonder if part of it is that one centralized location is mighty tempting.

(Hence using an offline calendar, and signal for most calls. Been looking into burner so a telephone company employee doesn’t know who I’m calling that can’t or won’t signal but maybe that just kicks the trust can down the road…)

2 Likes

“Surprise!! You’ve been BIDDLED!!”

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.