Sears expected to liquidate as last-minute buyout fails

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/08/sears-expected-to-liquidate-as.html

2 Likes

“…the storied retailer with more than 50,000 employees on a path to liquidation…”

That’s two-thirds of the number of people employed in the coal industry. Has Hair Trump said anything about this?

18 Likes

I suppose I’m never going to see the vacuum cleaner replacement part I’ve had backordered through Sears Parts Direct for the last two months…

5 Likes

I was going to say I’ll miss their Christmas catalogs but that was J.C. Penneys. I can’t think of a positive memory of Sears or Kmart.

There goes my plan to have them be the hub for the transportation revolution. Hollow the stores out, and turn them into fueling/maintenance stations for self-driving vehicle fleets. Their ubiquitous real estate uniquely positioned them for this, no one was ever that far from a Sears or KMart. You’d request a vehicle, maybe an office car for the commute to work, or a movie van for the schlep to gramma’s with the kids. It’d deliver you and then head off to a local hub to be cleaned, fueled and prepped for the next trek. They came with parking lots, tons of roof for solar panels for charging, &c.

6 Likes

I feel like Sears’ big mistake was just plugging along and ignoring their stores’ image as outdated, boring, and old fashioned… the place to buy mom jeans… rather than focus on what everyone knew were their outstanding assets: Sears Hardware, Kenmore appliances, DieHard batteries, and Craftsman tools. Instead they spun those brands off and their legendary quality plummeted.

16 Likes

Sears has had me on an emotional roller coaster ride, I can’t take it anymore.

6 Likes

Thats not a terrible idea in general but this could only works if they own the real estate. Considering the number of strip-malls and malls that many of those stores occupy, as well as their consistent money issues, I doubt that Sears does own much of the property the occupy at the moment.

1 Like

My last online order from Sears was just delivered last week. A craftsman cordless drill and sockets. I used the leftover remains of gift card that I got a couple of years back. I was surprised when the transaction was supported and more so when the items were delivered. SearsPartsDirect has saved me and my appliances many times. I will miss that service. My vehicles have always had DieHard batteries, (because that’s what dad used). I too, grew up with the Sears and JCPenney wishbooks. I can remember a reversed photo of the Kenner Millenium Falcon in one of them.

Sears, I salute you.

7 Likes

The one thing I have bought from Sears in the past decade has been tires - because if you then buy their warranty you can get the tires fixed or replaced anywhere in the country - or I should say “could”.

I can’t think of a national chain that would offer a similar service now.

1 Like

The reporting suggests that Sears was basically run into the ground by neglecting the customers, as the company sold off assets to prop up the earnings reports.

9 Likes

With some sleuthing, it is possible to determine who really made that Kenmore appliance from the model number. From there, it is a matter of browsing the repair guides and trying to match their OEM brand equivalents. Sometimes the OEM can assist in the search, and will likely be more helpful after the bankrupcy.

http://www.applianceaid.com/sears-manufacturing-codes.php
http://www.appliance411.com/parts/sears.shtml

Similarly, here is a decoder for Craftsman Tools (assuming that the model/part number is available.)

http://vintagemachinery.org/craftsman/manufacturers.aspx

5 Likes

RepairClinic.com will let you search parts based on model number. I have used them many times and have always been satisfied.

Best thing is their browse by pictures. You can visually see exactly what part you’re getting and compare it to the one you’re replacing.

https://www.repairclinic.com/

8 Likes

Perfect timing, I’m ready for a new fridge!

2 Likes

The local sears, or at least the top floor, is apparently becoming a “Dave and Busters”, whatever that might be. At least it’s not a vacant storefront-- of which there are a handful within walking distance. The former Toys R Us is the largest hole.

2 Likes

Perhaps it’s different in the US, but there are many fond memories of ye olde Sears “Wish Book” in Canada. Scans should be floating around out there.

6 Likes

As I recall, if Sears still had any value at all, it was due in large part to the fact that they owned the land under their stores. I think the strategy was that Sears was going to sell its property then lease it back, so at least the landlord (I’m guessing Lampert himself) would make money.

I don’t know that this was the case with most of their stores or not, though. Around the time I moved here, a shopping mall closed, but the Sears store stayed open for several more years (even after the rest of the mall had been demolished, since Sears owned their store property).

5 Likes

The former Kmart across from work has been vacant for almost 4 years. I looked up the property and a church bought it a year or two ago, but they haven’t visibly done anything with the place.

3 Likes

I believe they sold off those brands in probably a well thought out move.

2 Likes

I’m not sure why selling off their best-known brands (while acting like they didn’t) was a well-thought-out move. It clearly massively impacted their brand and store sales.

3 Likes