There are only three Kmarts left

Originally published at: There are only three Kmarts left | Boing Boing

5 Likes

There are four operating Kmarts in the U.S. Virgin Islands.

10 Likes

giphy

22 Likes

Think New Amsterdam GIF by NBC

21 Likes

In other news:

There are more than zero Kmarts left!

10 Likes

Searsopode.

19 Likes

“There are only three Kmarts left” In the US! There are plenty in Australia!

12 Likes

Kmart wasn’t a private equity thrall? I may just be conflating with Toys R’ Us…

8 Likes

or Target on quality

Used to be true, but I’ve had to give up on Target. Their quality has taken a nosedive lately and they are clearly no longer targeting me as a consumer. Or (and probably more likely) I’m just totally out of touch with what’s hip and trendy.

9 Likes

But I understand that there they’re all call K-whozzers and are characterized by venomous fangs and a tendency to kill humans.

13 Likes

When I was a kid, going into a Kmart filled me with a sense of sadness and doom that I couldn’t articulate because… well, I was a kid. It was like the rapture had happened and we’d all been left behind (I was a Xtian then, not so much now). I am not sad to see them go.

I get the same feeling at Target. I’ve never been to a Wal-Mart, but I bet I’d feel the same post-apocalyptic grimness there.

Costco? I don’t go now, but when I last went with my Mom and Dad (years ago now), Costco was okay. It was probably all the free samples.

2 Likes

A ‘mall’, Billy? You want to know what a shopping mall was? Well, Billy, it was a glorious place we went to buy all the essentials: from pet rocks to scented candles to popular music inspired underwear, all in one location! Complete with a place to buy various foodular items all in burrito shape. ah those were the days, Billy!

But why wasn’t the stuff just thrown at your door and then stolen?

Cuz we didn’t have the porch cameras to record those miracles of nature, Billy. Bless your 21st century, Billy.

15 Likes

I was thinking, “that can’t be right - I’ve seen some Kmarts not so long ago…” but then I realized that they were just former Kmarts (e.g. I know one had been converted into office space but still had the sign).

It almost feels like a safe assumption, given the cluttered landscape of various gutted businesses hollowed out by private equity companies…

8 Likes

I recently had to explain to my kids what Kmart is. And a Blue Light Special. And Sears.

37 Likes

shebear

15 Likes

Nowadays you’d probably want to substitute Walmart or Target and maybe Dollar General for Sears and K-Mart.

Imagine telling the kid their kit was on clearance.

I had the same feeling about K-Mart every time I walked in. The stores always seemed dated and they all smelled the same. You aren’t missing much at Walmart. I only go there for the motor oil which is considerably less expensive than the exact same product at an auto parts store.

In case anyone else is curious the last 3 are located in Westwood, N.J., Long Island, N.Y., and Miami

8 Likes

I has back in my hometown, visiting my folks, and was helping my mom get a new cell phone. Which required a trip to the local Verizon store. And we were taking separate cars, so I asked them which shopping plaza the Verizon was in. “The one where the K-Mart used to be, the one that used to have the Ames, or the old Woolworth’s plaza?”

And I felt old as fuck.

15 Likes

There’s a Kmart Big Lots in my city. Is Big Lots a separate business?