Season of the Witch

Witchyness/Magic sold a lot of records and “Season of the Witch” probably lit that fire (1967 Donovan (w/Jimmy Page as session guitarist) & this cover in 1968). The generation was influenced as well by Screamin Jay Hawkins’ inebriated “I Put A Spell On You” which goes back to '56.

A lot of them are jam songs which DJ’s would put on when they needed a “bathroom break.”

“Evil Ways” - Willie Bobo 1967, then Santana 1969
"Black Magic Woman/Gypsy Queen" - edit (Thx PatRx2): Fleetwood Mac 1968, then Santana 1970
A little more buried, but “The Witches Promise” - Jethro Tull 1970
"Witchy Woman" - Eagles 1972
"Rhiannon" (yup, just ask Stevie) - Fleetwood Mac 1975
"Magic Man" - Heart (which had earlier been called Hocus Pocus before both couples hooked up) 1976

And arguably the spirit-genre’s death knell, “Abracadabra” - Steve Miller 1982

I bet the commenters here have a lot more from this timeframe in their rolodexes.

3 Likes

Black Magic Woman was originally Fleetwood Mac - a Pete Green tune.

1 Like

And then there was Voodoo Chile and Voodoo Child (Slight Return) by Jimi Hendrix, and very nearly anything by Dr. John in that period.

1 Like

Even the suspiciously wholesome Cliff Richard got in on it with 1976’s Devil Woman.

2 Likes

Try this:

Kim Lenz and the Jaguars, “Zombie For Your Love”

1 Like

Oh yeah, I’d never listened to it with headphones before. Nice. Absolutely in there. And I’m talking about commercial radio here… Delta blues was steeped in this stuff.

Here’s the same title, different song and more like a song you’d hear in South Pacific.

Also
"Witch Queen of New Orleans" - Redbone 1972
"Superstition" - Stevie Wonder 1972

Some are spooky and some are just troubled relationship songs. More of the latter:
“Evil Woman” - Crow 1969, Black Sabbath 1970
"Evil Woman" - ELO 1976. (like Magic Man, more of a love/rejection thing)
“Black Hearted Woman” - Allman Bros 1969

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.