SEC fines influencers $400k for failing to disclose they were paid in real money to hawk fake currency

Originally published at: SEC fines influencers $400k for failing to disclose they were paid in real money to hawk fake currency | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Anyone doing paid endorsements for pyramid scheme scrip should be required to be compensated in it.

14 Likes

Those are some serious fines. Can anyone explain why or point to a resource? Googling hasn’t gotten me far. It isn’t like people shilling pharmaceuticals, financial services, or I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter have to take payment in those same forms. And is cryptocurrency a security? Not that I’m a crypto fanboy, this just seems like a huge consequence for something that does’t strike this uninformed person as an obvious no-no.

2 Likes

It’s a big deal if you are paid to do so, and don’t disclose that. If you say that you really like I can’t Believe It’s Not butter, you’re not going to cause the price to spike 10 or 100 fold, but in stocks, securities and crypto you can easily do that.

8 Likes

I don’t blame Lohan for not knowing the financial disclosure for such a ad. I sure don’t know the details. But for sure her business manager and booking agent should understand. They are the ones who need to be fined.

6 Likes

I’m just really afraid that this heartbreaking story will cause me to cry all the moisture out of my body

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.