Second skin spacesuit

[Permalink]

I can’t help but be reminded of the old MC-3 capstan suits…http://www.astronautix.com/craft/mc3.htm

This sounds exactly like the space suit in Exo:

1 Like

So I guess this may have been initially worked on in 1959. That MIT suit project has been going since at least 2006.

I wonder if it might be better to make the thing require power to loosen, and have ‘tight’ be the default state. In an emergency it could always be cut off… or include some alternate mechanical mechanism for loosening (eg a rip-cord that allows a pleat to unfold).

3 Likes

That is exactly how it was handled in the book - When powered, the suit ballooned up, and when power was removed it tightened on the wearer - so that they were protected in case of accidental loss of power.

I always assumed the gas was also there for insulation of a sort.

I’m surprised no one mentioned this:

4 Likes

The vacuum of space makes for an excellent thermos bottle, and the sun is always there to heat you up. Naturally you want to have insulation on any part of you that’s going to be touching objects (which will be blazing hot in the sun and freezing cold in the shade), but once you’ve insulated your feet and hands, the big problem in orbit is keeping cool enough.

Walking around a large airless body, on the other hand, you have to worry about the temperature of the rocks, which make excellent heat sinks. Too many hours of sun and everything around you is hundreds of degrees, too many hours of dark and everything is at near cryogenic temperatures. IIRC, all Apollo missions were timed so that it would be early morning in the lunar day at the landing site, after the rocks had a chance to warm up from the 2 week night but before they had a chance to get too toasty.

8 Likes

Nice notes, thanks!

There’s a “spaghetti layer” in the US suits made by ILC. The problem in space suits is not so much insulation as heat distribution. The spaghetti layer (I don’t know what it’s actually called, that’s just what I always called it, for ease of description) is made of pipes full of liquid. Remember that a shadow line in space will have a temperature differential across it of hundreds of degrees, and when you’re actually doing something the shadow lines will move constantly.

4 Likes

Where is this from?

Also, a good part of the astronauts’ backpacks was a block of ice, sublimating to the vacuum and sinking the heat from the astronaut-cooling system.

The name of anything approved by NASA would be the most functional thing you could call it.

The Liquid Cooling and Ventilation Garment.

I mean, who else would use the word “garment” other than NASA?

1 Like

HEATHEN

its neon genesis evangelion. Am I this old already? Somebody hold me

6 Likes

I knew it looked familiar. (Todo: watch more of the series, not just isolated bits and pieces.)

You need a ‘done’ list, you. It’d be far, far shorter than your ‘to do’ list I’m sure. :wink:

3 Likes

Yes.

This.

And? Seven of Nine, here I come!

1 Like

I thought it was a stillsuit.

1 Like

I recalled reading about those three decades ago too. They weren’t active like this one, however, and that was probably why they were abandoned back then. I seem to recall they failed at the joints because the suit buckled and pulled away from the body when the joints bent. Active correction could fix that problem.

Or maybe it was just because astronauts refuse to leave nothing to the imagination.

good thing i don’t rely on my assumptions!!! thanks!