Security researcher cracks high-security lock used for ATMs, Air Force One, military bases

Exactly… I saw someone criticizing a combination bike cable lock because it could easily be decoded in 2 minutes, but ignoring the fact that the cable could be cut in about 2 seconds with a pocketable tool. I haven’t heard of a single instance of a bicycle being stolen by nondestructively opening the lock. Fancy lock cores do have some legitimate applications, but they’re quite niche; the vast majority of real-world attacks involve destructive entry.

I’m sorry, I try very hard to resist pointing out typos, but this one paints such an amusing image I just can’t help it. :trumpet:

3 Likes

Wood-frame particle board houses with metal-clad front doors come to mind.

2 Likes

they have never heard of anyone using Davis’s attack in the wild

If an attack was successful in the wild no one would have been likely to hear about it, surely?

1 Like

… with foam filled cheaply made metal-clad, softwood edged inswing front doors and crappy wood frames that splinter easily from a kick-in attack. Plus Grade 3 or ungraded deadbolts. It’s a contest of sorts to see which component of the opening will fail first.

I’m wondering about an oscilloscope as well. Most places I’ve seen these (the dial type x10s, not the weird model Corry posted a picture of.) everyone is wary to the point of checking the badge of everyone passing them in the hall, and someone jacked into the door with any sort of gear is going to be right out. That said, the company should fix their damn locks.

Amusingly enough, there once was an article on BoingBoing about the horrors of forcing Security guards to document their patrolling by physically checking in at certain points at certain times.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.