Security researchers show how to eavesdrop on mobile phone calls by measuring the ear speaker's tiny vibrations

Originally published at: Security researchers show how to eavesdrop on mobile phone calls by measuring the ear speaker's tiny vibrations | Boing Boing

1 Like

Nowadays, most people take their calls through a Bluetooth headset. That might be easier to hack than the accelerometer on your phone, but I’m not sure.

3 Likes

56% accuracy? “Before I duck my mister, I want to fondue my gentiles.”

Nothing beats the OG.

2 Likes

9 Likes

… surprised they can’t just hack the microphone

which we have to leave unlocked all the time or else “answering the phone” won’t work :roll_eyes:

Years ago, the company I worked for supplied phones for congress. One of the requirements was that you couldn’t pick up the audio from fluctuations in the DC supply while the phones were on-hook. Spec was to blast the phones with really loud sounds and look at the line voltage with a spectrum analyzer (they were digital phones). The phones were also modified with a mercury switch that shorted out the microphone when on-hook.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.