See a single atom in this magnificent photograph

I get it, it makes you think about the very fundamentals behind photography. But they did it.

We need a new word to describe images that are merely graphs of photons… but what would we call it?

You say that sarcastically, but little did you suspect I had a topically relevant video clip handy.

I can take a picture of a star with my phone. The star will be visible in the picture even though it occupies a fraction of a pixel. But I still have a picture of a star.

3 Likes

I don’t think we even know that. The human eye is extremely sensitive, sometimes to individual photons.

2 Likes

Good thing no one claimed to be bouncing photons off of it, then. It’s being made to emit photons.

1 Like

On one hand, the article itself states the results are not entirely conclusive. On the other, the famous atom may be emitting a great number of photons.

An earthworm can sense light, but does it “see” in the conventional sense?

Let us suppose that the point of atomic light was unambiguously visible to anyone not legally blind. The next natural question to ask is “what does it look like?” Well, it looks like a point of light, of course, which isn’t very much information. Being able to describe features of an object from a distance is fundamental to the concept of sight.

Are we saying that a strontium atom is blue?

They’ve had pictures of a quark for quite some time now.

5 Likes

You mean the dead pixel? What about it?

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.