See amazing Northwest Coast Native artwork from Canada

Originally published at: See amazing Northwest Coast Native artwork from Canada | Boing Boing

4 Likes

That museum in Vancouver is fantastic - every time I go to the city I book at least a full day for it. It overflows with stupendously beautiful and interesting works and sculptures from various indigenous peoples of the Pacific Northwest, and is really worth the trip.

I shared some pictures of a monumental sculpture by modern Haida artist Bill Reid on my blog - it’s really stunning.

4 Likes

Back in the before times, I attended a conference held at UBC. As was typical for these type of events, they held a big banquet on the final day, but this one was on the grounds of the museum which was a real treat. The best part was the catering was done by a local native owned group who prepared the salmon feast in a fire pit dug on the museum grounds. Without question, the best salmon I have ever eaten.

I went back the next day, and the pit had been carefully replaced with a new piece of sod.

4 Likes

The Seattle Seahawk team logo was based on a mask made in this tradition. The specific mask in question evidently ended up in a museum in Maine.

1 Like

There is an online store that sells stuff (backpacks, hoodies, etc.) designed by contemporary artists working in the style represented here. It is https://www.salishstyle.com/

2 Likes

Great blog with lots of content I’m looking forward to exploring when I have time. Thank you

2 Likes

Thanks for the writeup. That sculpture by Bill Reid is one of my favourites at the museum.

2 Likes

I gotta say…I really appreciate your writing. I’ve been reading your posts on Pacific North West First Nations. I didn’t grow up here. I moved here in my 20s and so I haven’t spent enough time learning about native culture. This is giving me a much deeper understanding of where I’m living now.

3 Likes

I’m really glad you’re finding those essays useful, werdnagreb. These are some super-interesting cultures to be sure, and very much alive today. I’ve seen some great contemporary Haida and Tsimshian contemporary art fusing abstract expressionism with the traditional forms and techniques, and some of it is really mind-blowing.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.