See inside a fully-stocked general store that hasn't been touched since 1963

Like heck we’ll never know for sure! Fire up the Mystery Machine! Road trip time!

2 Likes

Not probable, but still possible.

1 Like

Dust comes from the skin we shed. If the place was clean the day it was locked, I guess there’s little chance for dust build up. (This is my guess).

1 Like

This store opened in 1900 and ran until 1963, when the owner died in the store behind the counter. Shortly after that, the doors were closed and locked and it has sat just the same ever since.

Dare I ask the obvious…?

5 Likes

She’s in the backroom, in a rocker.

16 Likes

I think dust is more than just sloughed skin. you would get dust from peeling paint, and from the wind blowing through cracks. I doubt that a roadside store from was airtight with no cracks or air leaks. Things deteriorate quickly when they are left alone. Paper turns brown and crumbles. Iron rusts. Brass turns dull or green.

Also, I didn’t see any peeling paint or mold. Those also happen in closed up buildings.

My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;
Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

5 Likes

Where are all the spider webs? Where is all the dust?
Clearly, much of this stuff is laid out not like a store, but like a museum. Perishable food is removed, leaky batteries are gone.
And it must have been at least partially a museum before it closed. It’s full of antique items and artifacts from well before 1963.
I’m also wondering if the pharmacy section contains any laudanum, cocaine, heroin, lithium etc, that weren’t particularly illegal back in the day…

5 Likes

Yeah, “largely” unchanged, maybe, but clearly museumified somewhat. I missed it the first time, but right beside that breaker panel you mentioned (ED: and the, uh, dead cat?) there’s also an obviously modern zip-lock bag tacked to the wall, displaying some stuff.

Still, a pretty cool time capsule.

10 Likes

I think plastics have always been seen as cheap – first as part of their wave-of-the-future sales pitch, and later through association with shoddy cheap imports from Asia – even though pound for pound, they’ve never actually been cheap.

As far as disposable packaging goes, though, right up through the eighties I think people saw plastic as superior, especially for food. After all, a steak wrapped in paper doesn’t feel much fancier, but it does feel like it just leaked carrion juice all over you.

IMO modern plastics are a good choice for lots of things, and the problems are more to do with thinking of plastic as something that should / will be thrown away after one use. Like, gallon milk jugs are convenient, they don’t break if you drop them, and there’s no reason grocery stores couldn’t sterilise and refill them dozens of times (or thousands of times, if they were made like tupperware). If we threw away ceramic plates after every meal, which makes as much sense, then we’d all be worrying about the environmental menace of potsherds.

1 Like

Old school “if we don’t have it, you don’t need it” store. Neat.

1 Like

Nah, dude; hard pass.

You’re gonna have to find yourself some other ride there…

1 Like

Let’s get Steve1989 in to check for a satisfying hiss!

I don’t know if they ever really said “untouched”, more like preserved.
If someone is keeping it closed except to go in there and dust, etc… it would explain why it looks this way.

2 Likes

I did notice some Fig laxative.

1 Like

On a working ranch? I’ve been on a few working ranches, and nothing stays that clean unless well maintained.

Oh, and there are fluorescent lights.

1 Like

they say one thing and then another thing

certainly “the doors were closed and locked and it has sat just the same ever since” is misleading

1 Like

Thanks for this.
Worth a road trip!
" “Time wounds all heels” “Don’t quite get that one. Comedy was different back in the day.”
Oof… how many days would ya last in the Cariboo back in the day?
*Near the end of the movie, there’s a close-up of Chlorodyne… gone are the days.

1 Like

I agree this is a curated display. It’s very extensive and categorized in the manner of the store it is based on but there is no way this is just the actual working store as it was when the owner died. It’s a clickbait story and video built around an excellent collection.

7 Likes

If to remain on display, conservators may wish to empty out the cans’ contents.

(Prop houses would love everything in that store… even the gas pump.)

1 Like

Yeah, and those Marvel caps; the Marvel universe didn’t even exist before 1961, and I doubt they were selling logo wear until several years later.

(ETA: /s, just in case.)