See the first armadillo pups born in North America since 2018

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/07/18/see-the-first-armadillo-pups-born-in-north-america-since-2018.html

3 Likes

OK, I thought “screaming hairy armadillo” was descriptive, rather than specific. Thinking, “Wait, there are wild populations all across the south, how can that be?” Understand now.

14 Likes

Delightful Creatures! Great video, but I’d’ve much rather heard them scrabbling around.

5 Likes

I was puzzled by the headline, as I’ve seen a baby one in KANSAS. I’ve seen dead adults as far north as Kansas City. But they must be the boring 9-Banded kind, and not the “screaming hairy” kind.

10 Likes

What fabulous creatures.

3 Likes

Screenshot 2024-07-18 at 15.32.03

12 Likes

Armadillo pups are born all the time in North America, in the wild, where they live. It isn’t anything new.

Better headline: Non-native genus bred in captivity.

6 Likes

Add me to the list of people confused by the headline. I also did not know Screaming Hairy was an actual species of Armadillo. TIL! And that needs to be a band name. A punk band, probably.

8 Likes

I take great joy in knowing that there is an animal named the “Screaming Hairy Armadillo”.

5 Likes

I too had a moment of panic: the only 2 armadillos to breed in NA since 2018? WETF?!?! then the reading compression part sent a note to the emotive part "did you see the screaming hairy bit? calm down, let me handle this’

Thx for today’s wonderful thing (cuteness capacitor now at 100% capn!)

3 Likes

Adjacent…

3 Likes

From Jennifer Sandlin:

2 Likes

Since some here had not heard of the screaming hairy armadillo; maybe they have not heard of the pink fairy armadillo?

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.