See this fellow test a 20,000 watt light bulb

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/07/21/see-this-fellow-test-a-20000.html

4 Likes

What’s the spectrum? I wonder if they’d be good for growing desert plants indoors as well.

Also…

5 Likes

[Neighbors a few houses down]

“Honey?”
“Yeah?”
“Is the military still doing nuclear testing?”

11 Likes

Bet you could cook a pizza with that bulb.

5 Likes

There, I FTFY

Whooo!

8 Likes

Obligatory…

6 Likes

Man buys small sun. Turns it on and off in his living room.

14 Likes

Betcha Walter White made those fireworks.

1 Like

Fascinating.

I looked high and low-- could not find a 100 Amp connector in my utility closet…

3 Likes

One small frozen pizza is 180 seconds @ 850W … that translates to 7.5 seconds @ 20,000 W

2 Likes

Shouldn’t this guy be wearing protective eye wear?

Easy-Bake Oven PRO Edition?

12 Likes

Incandescent. So, full spectrum. We have a similar one in the office, probably 5,000 watts.

You’d be much better off with metal halide for growing though. Just as much light, much lower wattage, much longer life.

6 Likes

" If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst forth at once in the sky, that would be like the splendour of the Mighty One."

That said, anyone know what the niche for 20kw incandescent bulbs is? Yes, none of the competitors can match that nice, close-to-ideal-black-body behavior; but it’s at the bottom of the barrel on efficiency and at 20kw, that starts to really count.

Is its massive IR output helpful for letting our reptilian overlords see clearly in their secret underground bases?

1 Like

I used to work in film lighting and I have no idea what the use case for this is in the 21st century. Any single source that size would generally be an HMI, and if you needed to balance it with tungsten sources you’d throw gels on one or the other. We still used 9- and 12-light tungsten and iirc even up to 10K for a single lamp… I think maybe they were cheaper to rent, not needing finicky ballasts? @Donald_Petersen might be able to shed some more light on this.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.