Sega Sammy to close arcades in Japan

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/05/sega-sammy-to-close-arcades-in-japan.html

3 Likes

Well their gambling operations have been a major money loser for them too

2 Likes

Was in Japan a year or so ago and was shocked at how few arcades there were compared to when I spent a year there in '97. Honestly it already felt like they were completely gone.

3 Likes

FTA: “However, it’s worth noting that while Sega Entertainment creates and operates the company’s arcade locations, Sega itself still manufactures and sells arcade machines.”

Good to know there’s still a heartbeat.

(I worked for Sega in the nineties and even did voices for a couple of arcade machines. Best job I ever had.)

9 Likes

One of the “fun” things about embedded sonic fanart in posts is how carefully you have to inspect them for subtle or non-obvious depravity.

2 Likes

The leap from “I really like sonic” to “I’d really like to have sex with sonic” should be a lot further than it actually seems to be…

Yeah, and the whole electronics parts market scene seems to have moved from Akihabara to places like Shenzhen. Japan used to be cooler in 1990s.

1 Like

When the premier (Western) fanart site is literally called “DeviantArt”, the depravity is kind of spelled out though.

deviant, mutant. what’s in a name? would esoteric niche subcultures be the same if they were called a rose?

1 Like

oh awesome - which ones?

1 Like
1 Like

Bingo Party, Bingo Carnival, a motorcycle racing game whose title I forgot, and Olympic Gold.

The sound engineers would occasionally take advantage of the (free) native English speakers in the company to do voice recordings, which is how I wound up in a stuffy sound booth, reciting numbers. Still was weird to hear my voice coming out of a machine when I passed an arcade.

Hang-on?

No, I want to say GP Rider, but I can’t find any video supporting that. It was a long time ago.

That’s a riot. I almost certainly heard you. Spent more than a little time in arcades. ;D

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.