'Self-checkout? Does that mean I work here?': Sketch pokes fun at high-end grocery culture

Originally published at: 'Self-checkout? Does that mean I work here?': Sketch pokes fun at high-end grocery culture | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Yes. It does.

11 Likes

Do it the other way, be a poor person in the stupid rich people store.

I’m trying to picture what that would like other than pushing a cart up and down the aisle saying wtf wtf wtf wtf…

And then everyone calling the police because a poor person.

10 Likes

Waitrose, the upscale supermarket here in the UK, has self-checkouts.

4 Likes

He nailed it.

:joy:

4 Likes

Aldi doesn’t. It has maybe one harried employee doing all the work. The store is also defined by its limited selection.

4 Likes

I wish the creator allowed the video to be viewed publicly. Instead, it’s on Instagram, which I can’t view without creating an account.

7 Likes

I don’t have an IG account and was able to view it

2 Likes

Is there a knack?
Asking because I get the same thing as @mycroftb .

Keeps asking me to log in or create an account, which I’m not gonna do.

2 Likes

Same here. I’ve basically given up on being able to see anything that comes from IG; I always get the login page.

2 Likes

Not sure! I used to have an account, so it’s possible there’s some cookie on my machine allowing me to do it.

Edit: I just tried it in a private window and it also worked. It asks me to log in with a banner at the top, but it still plays the video. I’m on an iPad.

1 Like

Two Aldi shops near me (NE England) have installed self-checkouts in the last month.

One Lidl has had them removed, presumably something to do with entropy of shoplifting.

3 Likes

All 4 by me, two of each dont have self check out, but i was in derby recently and that had 8 self check out tills, but it was also a very big store i think had the room, where as the stores by me are all rather small so prob would have to give up to much floor space for self check out.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.