Senate report: Boeing and FAA manipulated 737 MAX re-approval tests

Just in case someone needs a comprehensive but thorough summary of how we got here, this talk from last years Chaos Computer Congress has a lot of scary information:

The kicker comes around 31:12 when the shift of responsibility and accountability from the FAA to the manufacturer is described in detail.

4 Likes

Or the China way…

Since this has cost lives, I have no problem with the people who made decisions to endanger people for $ to be taken to the end of a runway and made to kneel before (BANG).

I had already decided never to fly in one of those things, but this reconfirms it. Big nope forever; I don’t see how any recertification would be believable at this point.

1 Like

The other real casualty here is the FAA, as its certifications are no longer simply accepted by other aviation authorities. The EU has already stated that the FAA is no longer trustworthy, and that to fly over Europe the 737Max will have to be tested and certified by the EASA.

7 Likes

“Let the market decide if it’s safe or not. You dont want to fly on this plane? Fine. Walk to St. Louis! Problem solved.”

Which ironically will actually affect Boeing more than it affects FAA. FAA loses a bit of face and street cred, but Boeing loses time and money by having to re-do actual work.

1 Like

The engines are still too big for the air frame.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.