Sentinel intelligence, explained

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

(I feel like there was a better quote, maybe in Dune Messiah, to describe the mentat’s brain clicking through millions of computations, but I had to settle with a made-up movie quote.)

Anyway, my personal take is that human brains are very good at pattern recognition, but, in this case, that results in our seeing a pattern of how many times we’ve been brilliantly prescient, and thinking that that’s meaningful, and ignoring all the predictions of Doom that turned out to be nothing.

1 Like

Problem are the people who predicted 10 of the last 5 disasters. Which 5 are we supposed to upheave society for, and which 5 will sort themselves out and pass us by.

If they’ve done the research and it stands up to replication than I guess such people actually exist but how do we identify them? How do we sort Casssandra from Chicken Little?

3 Likes

At this point, I’d prefer the people who can accurately see into the present. Those appear to be few and far between

3 Likes

Or The Sentinel

2 Likes

6 Likes
1 Like

3 Likes

im in the same boat, i remove all the logos i can. for me it’s not an aesthetic thing per se. it’s more that i don’t want to be endorsing a company by mere default. and i don’t like their names displayed around my home either. i don’t want to encourage any more unconscious associations with brands than i already have

contrarywise, my laptop is covered in stickers. some with labels of organizations i do endorse.

i value my inconsistency :smile:

4 Likes

( Maria Tatar’s the Heroine with 1001 faces also draws attention to this work)

1 Like

It’s easy. Listen to the industry lobbyists. They’ll tell you when to panic over global climate change, sugar, opioids, dairy, beef, …

Sorry for not finishing the joke, but the more I typed the more depressed I became.

2 Likes

Username checks out…

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.