Serial swatter off to jail for "at least 20 years"

Interesting. Is there such a thing as “negligent manslaughter” then at all?
In Austria, it’s murder if you kill someone on purpose, and it’s manslaughter if you kill someone on purpose in a situation where it is “generally understandable” that you’d be affected by strong emotions. (i.e. premeditated vs. spur-of-the-moment). In Germany, it’s manslaughter if you kill someone on purpose, and murder if you do it for “especially despicable” motives or in an “especially despicable” way.
If you assault someone and they end up dying without that being the intention, then that’s “assault leading to death”, which is something else again.

Society viewing someone culpable for a death, definitely. But there are (and ought to be!) huge differences in “how culpable”.

I’m sure Canadian law tradition has found a way to avoid that problem, but over here the distinctions are necessary so that people who are culpable “to a certain degree” don’t get lumped in with the real monsters (or the other way around).

Is it? Stupidly risking someone’s life is not the same thing as premeditated murder.

And at 20 years arrived at through plea bargaining (= threats of something worse), the whole thing really seems to me like we’re discussing the moral shades of theft after reading a report on the “Islamic State” hacking off people’s hands as a punishment.

What about the police officers the murdered the guy for no good reason? What’s happening to them?

3 Likes

Probably nothing. We’ve found a guilty person after all…

Just high fives and “atta boys” all around I guess.

Guy deserves it; but he’s an unfortunately convenient villain for the purposes of politely burying any impolitic inquiries about the actual users of lethal force here. (And, in this case, Officer Friendly has already been exonerated on the usual grounds; without so much as some concerns over his fitness for actual hostage crisis work being raised.)

1 Like

IANAL, but there is a “thing” called reckless indifference which could certainly be applied in something liked this. No clue what the impact would be, and guessing that in the face of a murder charge, would be small potatoes, but any time some asshole pulls something like this, even if there is no tragic outcome, that should apply. IMHO, and not responsible for legal advice here!

1 Like

Given his notably level-headed behavior while in pretrial detention my hopes for this one’s learning potential are pretty limited.

5 Likes

Seriously, from jail for swatting, threatens to swat “whoever’s been talking shit.” The insight this young man has is truly stunning. BTW, the IT dept at the jail needs a kick in the ass as well.

4 Likes

Australia, as usual, is a blend of the two.

Our police tend to kill about twenty people per year, with a disproportionate percentage of the victims being mentally ill. But they generally do not draw their firearms, let alone fire them, unless there is a legitimate perception of immediate lethal danger.

3 Likes

Incidentally, there’s been a move in Australia over recent years towards “industrial manslaughter” laws. I.e. holding bosses’ criminally liable when workers are killed due to negligent management.

9 Likes

My evidence is circumstantial, and there are a variety of options for other internet-connected devices or IT confusion when interfacing with 3rd party systems; but based on my research at the time I suspect that it was the bottom-feeding vendor who probably needs to shape up.

TFA says that:

The Sedgwick County Sheriff’s Office told the Wichita Eagle on Monday that Barriss had taken advantage of a flawed software update on the jail’s Internet kiosks. These kiosks are supposed to allow prisoners to perform a limited set of functions, like purchasing items from the prison commissary or sending or receiving electronic messages. But they aren’t supposed to allow general Internet access.

On the 26th of August, 2016, Sedgewick County put out RFP 16-0079, looking for vendors for commisary kiosks. Addendum #1 answers a variety of questions including #15 “Will the vendor be allowed to place their equipment on the County’s network?” (No.) and #16 “Will the vendor have to provide their own internet service?” (Yes.) Finally, CBM Managed Services got the nod on December 8th of 2016(just look at those inmate banking fees, courtesy of the ‘Techfriends Jail ATM’ program; and no I’m not making that up).

I was able to find no RFPs for similar services, or documents relating to their switching vendors, between that date and our “eGod” having an unsanctioned twitter adventure; so I’m assuming that they were still in charge at the time.

2 Likes

I repeat: twenty years is a long time. It is, in fact, about sixty times as long as he had, at that point, spent in pretrial detention.

It’s really easy to be smug and say that a 25-year-old will never learn. And, hey, maybe he won’t! It’s not like our prison system is ideally geared for rehabilitation. All I’m saying is that piling on additional years in a misguided quest for retribution or isolation isn’t always–or even often–a productive method of punishing offenders.

1 Like

This gets glossed over way too often. Lots of people to blame for SWATting, but this would help. Also helps with phone spam. Friend of mine got a spam call from his own number a couple of days ago.

Cops seem to be killing people anyway even more so without the swatting. Swatting only provides the cops more “opportunities”.

There is. I think the difference is that in “negligence causing death” you never intended to cause harm or commit a crime, but death resulted through your disregard for other people, not through your malice towards them. It escalates to murder if you intended to cause harm and that harm ended up being death. We still have “first degree” and “second degree” murder, distinguishing between premeditated and spur-of-the-moment murder. “Manslaughter” covers people who were, extremely emotionally affected at the time or provoked.

It sounds like Germany may have a few more named crimes on the books, but we probably work out many of the nuances in sentencing for things less than murder. I also thing prosecutorial discretion comes in. An act may fit the definition of many crimes, but which one you are actually charged with might depend on the circumstances.

Canada’s incarceration rate is 114 which is quite a bit higher than Germany’s 78, so I assume we could learn something from German justice (unless we believe that English speakers are just criminal by nature, which, honestly, most English-speakers seem to). Anyway, we’re nowhere near the US’s 650+ incarceration rate, so these differences in classifying homicides aren’t a huge role-player in that difference. As you say, we’re we’re discussing moral shades here; there’s something very wrong going on in the US totally outside the scope of our discussion of criminal definitions.

I think it really depends how you interpret the action. Suppose we had this scenario (which I’m not saying is a good analogy for swatting): Someone puts one bullet in a six chamber revolver, spins the barrel, points it at someone and pulls the trigger. I’d say if the bullet chamber contains the bullet, they hit and kill the person, that’s murder, and I’d call it premeditated murder put it in with the worst kinds of murder.

So I think we have a wide range of possibilities in this case. It goes from the person who did the swatting really not understanding how dangerous what they were doing was to them gleefully wishing death on their target and watching the news hoping to see the carnage. In the latter case, I think an essentially maximum sentence is completely justified. I think I probably unjustifiably assumed the worst of this guy and assumed he was murderous, only talking about “ought to have known” for argument’s sake.

It’s certainly right to be suspicious of all US sentencing and plea bargains. Sentencing in the US runs from police being too quick to arrest, to prosecutors over-charging and bullying people into plea bargains, to judges over-sentencing, to law-makers over-legislating (and that’s ignoring the cases where people don’t live through their encounter with the cops).

1 Like

Or this

Can you imagine if the cops in any state in the US (Britain has a higher population than California) only fired their guns seven times in a year?

4 Likes

That would take a Festivus Miracle.

4 Likes

Yeah, it would be a miracle if cops from a large state could avoid firing their guns more than seven times on Festivus.

3 Likes

As someone who lives in an area with constant roadwork, a lot of it superficial (because if you don’t use all your budget this year, it won’t be available next year), I really hope that’s not how police budgets work. But I’m jaded enough to believe it could be.

1 Like

grumpy-cat-good

4 Likes