Series based on David Cronenberg's horror classic "Scanners" coming to HB0

Originally published at: Series based on David Cronenberg's horror classic "Scanners" coming to HB0 | Boing Boing

1 Like

It’ll be interesting to see if they attempt to top the iconic shotgun-to-the-head effect.

1 Like

Bring back Stephen Lack for some sort of cameo, please!

He’s younger than Cronenberg, who recently had a significant part in the show Discovery.

1 Like

The Dead Zone?

I think From the Drain is ripe for expansion into a series:

3 Likes

Oh gawd, I had completely forgotten a Dead Zone series ever existed. I never laid eyes on it. Deleted in piece.

2 Likes

1 Like

I loved the original Scanners, saw it on opening weekend. I’ve rewatched it at least a dozen times. But I still cringe each time Stephen Lack says anything. I don’t know if it was an artistic call by Cronenberg, but it sounds like bad acting.

He couldn’t act, but got cast anyway due to his eyes. Couldn’t Cronenberg have cast Meg Foster instead? She was even in Canada that year for Ticket to Heaven.

1 Like

He doesn’t have to star

Still better than half the actors in Hellraiser, tho. Come to think of it, so many bad performances from the early to mid-80s indies.

1 Like

Bah. I recall most of the performers being fine in Hellraiser. I can’t specifically remember any special moments from the daughter, so maybe she was substandard.

Also the kid…Steve? Ugh.

Had to look him up. I don’t recall him being a major player.

Certainly Andrew Robinson was fine, also his character’s wife Julia, both Flashback Frank and Monster Frank, the Cenobites. That’s all the major cast members except the daughter who I probably at least thought was adequate. (And Steve if he was more important than I recall.)

A minor character, but more than the “victims”. I guess my point is that no matter how good the principal actors are, one bad extra can shake the viewer out of the experience every time.

2 Likes

I wonder if he was one of the characters re-dubbed to attempt to make the film seem more American.

1 Like

I’d assume so. His voice seemed kinda weird.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.