Seth Rich conspiracy was a Russian military operation: Yahoo News

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/09/seth-rich-conspiracy-was-a-rus.html

5 Likes

Russia may have lost the cold war but they are doing a damn good job of winning the internet culture war :frowning:

21 Likes

tumblr_ox5prpzBt21qbfap9o1_500

25 Likes
6 Likes

How long until we have our own Slav squat squad? :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

Pretty sure this is an integral part of that one that landed Trump in the white house. Given that it centered on obscuring the source of butter emails, kicked off during the election.

We’re a little to locked in on the hacks end of this thing, there was a massive misinformation campaign going on. Tightly focused on bootstrapping conspiracy and horseshit into election coverage via social media and fringe political “news” sites. And it had very little to do with direct manipulation of the electoral system.

15 Likes

This video series by the New York Times is fascinating, not least for the quote at 3:09 (from a KGB defector)

“Only about 15% of time, money, and manpower is spent on espionage as such. The other 85% is a slow process, which we call either ideological subversion or active measures, in the language of the KGB.”

They’ve been doing this for a long time and it’s most of what they do.

16 Likes

FoxNews could be a Russian Military operation too. Just say’n.

13 Likes

Aug 2018

7 Likes

4 Likes

Yes, I saw the story this morning on Yahoo, and predictably all the top comments were “but what about ____, and what about ____ which clearly point to a coverup and elements of the Deep State, blah blah blah.” I can’t tell if those are just more Russian fake accounts or actual Amerikanski dupes. I guess it doesn’t matter which in the end.

18 Likes

Getting owned by the Russians to own the Liberals.

12 Likes

We do, problem is they’re working with the Russians!

2 Likes

“The enemy of a my enemy is my dominatrix.”

• Republicans
9 Likes

Along with NRA, Brexit, and Twitter. Too true.

8 Likes

Yahoo News is a Russian conspiracy.

1 Like

13 Likes

I remember Kim Dotcom was promoting this idea that he had gotten emails from an anonymous source who “he just knew” was Seth Rich, and that he had proof of a connection between Rich and the hacked DNC emails. Of course he can’t really know if his contact was Rich or a Russian agent, and for all we know he was just making the whole thing up. Mr. Dotcom is also fighting extradition to the USA for assorted charges, and is known to have already faked emails related to his case in New Zealand, which further throws anything he says into extreme doubt. Him providing “proof” of some DNC murder conspiracy probably seemed like a way for him to get leniency or a pardon from Trump and the GOP.

3 Likes

It would be interesting to see the response if one of the streaming services re-released Seinfeldt without the canned laughter. I’d might actually watch it.

1 Like

They wanted his apartment. Good rental space in DC is tough to come by!