U.S. accuses Russia of trying to “interfere with the U.S. election” through internet attacks

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/10/07/u-s-accuses-russia-of-trying.html

3 Likes

I think it’s more probable that a SuperPAC is paying someone, perhaps underground Russian criminal hackers, to do it. A US dollar buys an awful lot of Russian Rubles, lately. How would you ever credibly distinguish between that and ‘state sponsored’ acts from evidence gathered at the target of the hack?

In a way, it seems brilliant. Undermine your domestic political opponent not only for what was leaked itself but also poor operational security, and simultaneously promote a worldview that antagonizes your old cold war partner for great military-industrial market opportunities and pretense required for hegemonic aspirations. All the hallmarks of and advantages to an all-too-familiar domestic extreme-right ideological actor.

2 Likes

Of course the Russians are hacking the DNC and interfering with the election. Like the rest of Patriots, they love this America and Freedom and America and want Crooked Hillary to lose because she will destroy this country!*

• Trump 2016!
13 Likes

How can you be sure the hacks aren’t false flag operations by the Democrats? But then they’d know you know that might be, so they wouldn’t risk it. On the other hand, they’d know you’d think they wouldn’t risk it because they’d know you know it could be, so why not go ahead and risk it. On the other other hand…

6 Likes

[quote=“GulliverFoyle, post:4, topic:87020”]
How can you be sure the hacks aren’t false flag operations by the Democrats?[/quote]
Good point. My answer: It seems plausible it’s not a false flag from the DNC because the Democratic Party doesn’t seem all that competent and they would appear to stand to lose more than gain from the noise! :slight_smile: Alternately: the DNC and GOP are now two brands owned and operated by the same parent corporation, and that entity or alliance wants the likely outcomes that a rekindled cold war would create for their various narrow self-interested reasons, all inevitable human and terrestrial harms be damned.

8 Likes

A dollar might buy a lot of rubles, but a Russian would probably rather have the dollar.

7 Likes

Gahhh, I’m trying to quote you for a snarky (but friendly) reply and it keeps moving! :confused: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Unlike underground Russian hackers-for-hire?

3 Likes

Can’t. China bought 'em all :wink:

4 Likes

Haha, I need my thoughts on page to finish composition!

3 Likes

No worries. I do the same thing. The preview window isn’t quite the same, is it?

4 Likes

Didn’t the US recently publish a new set of guidelines regarding what IS and IS NOT considered an act of war in the context of internet and related tech? I don’t need to see a carrier group being shifted as a response, but I would like to know that we’re not just crying foul and moving on.

5 Likes

The only reason such a thing is even possible is because the forces of the entrenched power structure want it to be possible. Now they’re all pissy because they’re supposed to be the only ones who can hack the election.

2 Likes

I can’t get over the idea that the Russians think the best way to damage the US is to tell the people the truth about what their leaders are doing. Isn’t it supposed to be the other way round?

14 Likes

Aren’t they already being subjected to sanctions for invading Crimea? Lotta good that’s doing.

Also, I don’t blame Russia for trying to influence our elections. I blame the shitty state of our IT security for making it easy.

Hey maybe there will be a silver lining here and the concerns about all the security flaws in electronic voting machines will be taken seriously finally.

Hah hah just kidding.

7 Likes

Who hacked Is immaterial. This press release confirms the G2 leaks are authentic.

1 Like

It’s too bad the US government doesn’t recall its overthrow of legitimate governments, oh, Nicaragua, Guatemala, or its failure to recognize legitimate governments, Hamas, Cuba, or its constant monetary, military and other interference in governments around the globe.

Do you know the Monty Python quote:

“I don’t want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction.”

?

That should be the reaction of the Russians to the American “position.”

Based on its prior, continuing and likely future behavior, the US has no basis for a complaint.

Hope you are looking forward to a great weekend!

Patrick

10 Likes

How can you be sure the hacks aren’t false flag operations by the Democrats? But then they’d know you know that might be, so they wouldn’t risk it. On the other hand, they’d know you’d think they wouldn’t risk it because they’d know you know it could be, so why not go ahead and risk it. On the other other hand…

“Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.”

6 Likes

Well, you know what they say about a land war in Asia.

6 Likes

For weeks, aides to Mr. Obama have been debating a range of possible responses to the Russia action, from targeted economic sanctions to authorizing covert action against the computer servers in Russia and elsewhere that have been traced as the origin of the attacks.

The White House has not said whether Mr. Obama has reviewed those options, or decided on any.

Judging by the way we made Vlad pay for invading the Crimea, I’d guess he’s quivering in his jammies tonight.

1 Like

I’m okay with him taking a little time on this. Anytime we tangle with the Russians we have to ask ourselves whether we really enjoy a particular game.

6 Likes