U.S. accuses Russia of trying to “interfere with the U.S. election” through internet attacks

Oh, I don’t have any problem with letting Putin gobble up the occasional bit of territory here and there. It just makes the USA look like idiots when we keep saying we won’t stand for it, and then we do.

2 Likes

Trying to bully other bullies can lead to getting your face punched. You have to pick on the small guys!

3 Likes

That sign on the front of the Democratic National Headquarters could do with some better word spacing. It is looking very cramped.

Global thermonuclear war

Yes.that’s bad. But global cyberwar would also put and end to civilization as we know it too. And that might happen. 8-O

1 Like

I suspect a full scale cyberwar would go nuclear pretty soon. Would countries like USA or Russia just accept their infrastructure getting wiped out with cyberattacks without using their conventional, and later on nuclear, weapons in retaliation? If nothing else, it might start with nuclear explosions above the suspected origin of the attacks to take out their computers from the EMP.

Better stick with cyberattacks against countries like Iran. As Ffabian said, you pick on the small guys, that’s safer.

1 Like

Actually it is. People in the Crimea are getting new and better infrastructure, Russians are getting cheap holidays in the sun, Putin’s popularity ratings stay high because he’s seen as standing up to the US and NATO. Oh, and the Russians are building mini nuclear power stations on barges so they can exploit the Arctic ocean - the US is almost completely unequipped with nuclear ice breakers - which means sanctions are forcing them to work their own assets and be more independent.

So it’s a big win for the Russian government.

The way distributed attacks work, the US would have to EMP its own territory since they have no idea where the C&C centres are - they are probably in the US. If I was the Russian government I’d make lots of fake attacks via Russian servers to persuade the US they were secure, while using servers in the US or London for the real attack. There are something like 300 000 Russians in the UK alone.

You may be right, but are you absolutely sure the leaders who control the nukes realize this? Or will they shoot off a nuke in the belief it will solve the problem? Remember the invasion of Iraq…

Well, true, the destruction of the large cities in the Northern hemisphere and three years of nuclear winter will certain put paid to cracking attempts. Finding undamaged tin cans and getting them open with sharp rocks will be a more useful survival skill.

1 Like

Craig Murray on all this.

It is a plain lie that Russia was responsible for the leak of the Democratic National Committee emails to WikiLeaks. It is quite extraordinary that the Obama administration formally adopted the accusation yesterday.

The US government cares so little about its relationship with Russia that it is prepared to launch completely false allegations at the Kremlin in order to influence a domestic election. The implications of that are chilling.

1 Like

Haven’t they had those since the 60s? Google fails me, but ISTR something about abandoned mobile reactors frozen in the ice.

You are probably thinking about RTGs of which they made a lot - there’s even a Russian movie in which one is a central plot element.
These are modern, 0.5GW designs, capable of powering an entire small city. First one is scheduled for deployment in, I think, 2019.

This? Brokeback Glacier? Looks interesting.

I liked it. It is very Russian though, and I believed it flopped utterly in the US. But I am student of Russian, YMMV.

Have you seen Hard To Be A God? It’s the most intense (which is an inadequate word for it) Russian film I’ve seen since Stalker or maybe Solaris, but in a very different way than either of those. Hell, it might be one of the most punishing films I’ve ever been exposed to. Almost every shot is claustrophobically packed with shit and blood and untrustworthy people. And it’s like three hours long.

Highly recommended!

Am I (US) trying to bully the (RF) bully in that scenario? What small guys are you talking about?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.